Part 1: 1982

I had a birthday party today. Diane's. She was turning 8. God I felt so small being only 7. The good thing was that she'd die younger. Anyway, I decided to wear a nice skirt with a blouse. Mum didn't like it so I wore it. She wasn't my favorite person in the world right now. In fact, she annoyed me. Always fighting on the phone with dad, never caring about me and Anna. I took the gift on the table and walked out the door into the morning light. As I paced in the street, I heard a funny noise. I halted and the noise stopped. I realized that it was coming from me. I looked at my feet and saw that the sole was loose. What would my friends say if they saw that I had a broken shoe? Would I look poor? Looking like I couldn't afford new shoes? Oh no, no, no, no!

- Hi honey. Are you okay? You seem stressed, tense.

A tall man, in his fifties maybe, stood next to me. He had a kind, soft face that matched his voice. I looked at him, hesitant.

- My shoe's broken and I've got to get to a birthday party. 

A smile stretched on his face.

- Is it? That's funny 'coz I'm a shoemaker you know? My shop is just a few houses away! It'd take a few minutes and then you'd be good to go!

- I don't know. I'm going to be late to my party. 

- Oh no you won't. I can assure that.

- Promise? 

- Yeah. Come.

On that last word, he took my hand and guided me to his « shop »...