Ten: Storm

I continued to smoke my cigarette while staring at the peach colored house in front of me. My palms were weirdly sweaty for some reason and it felt like I could get sick at any moment. What kind of stupid feeling was this? And more importantly, how do people deal with this shit? Opening my car door, I stomped the cigarette out under my boot before wiping my hands onto my pants. As I was walking up to the door I quickly grabbed a piece of rumpled up gum and shoved it into my mouth. My fingers tightened onto my backpack straps before stopping in front of the door. Before I had a chance to overthink it and make it weird, the door suddenly opened and just like that, my day got brighter.

Quinn was standing in front of me with a huge smile on his face. The thing that I would never get over wasn't how bright green his eyes were, or how great his ass looked in his jeans. The way he looked at me made me feel giddy and like a little school girl. Why did he make me feel like this? I've been with people before; I've fucked random people and have never felt like this. But the way he was looking at me right now made me feel like I mattered. And since my dad died and my mom was diagnosed with schizophrenia, I hadn't felt like that.

It felt like sometimes it wasn't worth trying to get close to people. Both of my parents are gone, even though my mom is physically here. Mentally she checked out a long time ago and sometimes can't even remember her own son. Scars and scratches covered my body for when she screamed and lashed out. I'd much rather her hurt me than herself. And the sad thing was, I used to be a momma's boy. She hugged me all the time, baked cookies with me and sang me to bed. Now she talks to the imaginary creatures around her, and doesn't remember her own son.

Losing my dad had been rough. Losing my mom was worse. Now I fucked around with random guys to feel at least something. But standing here, in front of Quinn, was making me feel all sorts of things. And that terrified me more than the demons who haunt me at night.

"Hi!" His smile was so contagious I couldn't help but smile back. "Come on in," he quietly said while wrapping his fingers around my sleeve and pulling me closer to him. His big green eyes were twinkling up at me as he shut the door. Quinn then bit his lip before quickly looking the room. He then got up onto his tip toes to kiss my cheek, my chest feeling strangely warm. "This way," he happily said as he led me down a hallway.

My eyes glanced at all the pictures sprinkling the walls, noticing there were many with Quinn and Pika. Since we were always moving, there really wasn't any point in making friends. I had tried once to make friends, and it backfired when we had to move across the country. I had cried for two months straight and never made another friend. I had been seven. Now I simply read and try to stay out of peoples lives. Shows how well that's going, I thought while looking around Quinn's home.

He led me into a living room with comfy looking couches. Luckily he plopped down onto one so I sat next to him. It was just as comfy as it looked. I watched as he took a MacBook off the couch next to him and logged on. When he started to write up a paper I groaned while frowning.

"We aren't actually doing homework, are we?"

His big eyes were looking over at me as he smiled. "What else did you think we were going to do?" His cheeks suddenly lit up into a blush as he looked back down towards his screen. "Scratch that, don't answer that."

When he started to type away I grabbed my own MacBook and opened it. After quickly finding his name in my contacts, I cracked my knuckles before starting to type out a message to him.

You know what else I'd like to do?

His body froze next to me as the message popped up onto his screen. He wrote out a quick response before turning back towards his paper.