None of This Is a Coincidence (But I Just Feel That...)

She stared into the beams of sunlight with disdain. The pounding within her skull no closer to dissipating as she grew accustomed to the rays, which she soon came to realize were only being emitted from the fluorescent lighting fixtures above her. No other soul surrounded her, the only company in her presence the ever pulsating beep of the heart monitor that watched her closely.

"She has no one else to act as guardian."

"The only one registered is an... Andrew Wiltern – her father."

The hospital door was opened delicately, the girl's eyes training themselves wearily upon the figure in the doorway. A nurse in baby blue scrubs entered with a clipboard in hand, checking the name on the bed twice before turning any actual attention to the patient within it.

The woman's brown eyes widened and a smile graced her features. "You're finally up!" She mused aloud for all to hear. "I'll go fetch the doctor."

Seconds later, a physician followed by the same aide made their entrance. The doctor checked upon the girl's well being, asking questions that she answered with a hazy mind. The entire time she was watched upon by another figure that stood towards the back of the room, the figure thinking about what arrangements were to be made for the girl's future.

The silence was deafening, the situation bringing upon them a sort of awkward tension that made her feel the weight of being crushed by it. The only thing giving her a sense of relief was the view that flew by before her, guaranteeing her the ride was nearly over.

Had it always been so hard to breathe?

The black sedan she had been stationary within for the past three and a half hours finally rolled to a stop. The woman she had come to know as Joanne for the duration of the journey pulled out the keys and instructed for her to grab her few belongings.

She disembarked the vehicle, her knees slightly buckling beneath her after having been off her feet as of late. Even now, a few days since leaving, she could still feel the drugs from the hospital lingering about her system.

She took her suitcase and duffel bag from the trunk, following Joanne shortly afterwards up the unkempt grass and towards the front door of the two story house. The red paint on the home was chipping, mud and dirt splattered across the lower half as if it had been kicked up by the unpredictable rains of Washington state, and a few shingles from the roof dangled upon the edges, threatening to fall altogether to the earth after having their condition disregarded for so long.

Joanne knocked upon the door after finding the doorbell out of service, and they waited in the moist air of La Push for a sign of life to show itself.