I Become Your Flower As If We Were Waiting (We Bloom Till We Ache)

A week had passed without Brennan even realizing it. She had been far too preoccupied enjoying the school days to realize, after the previous weekend, five of them had come and gone in a moment's notice.

What awoke her the following Saturday morning was her cell phone's ringtone going off on the nightstand beside her bed. At first she thought it to be part of her dream – a rather noisy part of it, and brushed it off as nothing more. It wasn't till it persisted and seemed to draw her out of her slumber did she realize it was in fact an actual call that was coming through.

With eyes half open and her vision still blurred from sleep, her hand felt around for the mobile device before securing it in her loose grasp. Her finger slid across the screen where the green button lay and she placed the cell on the side of her head, letting it reside there as her arm fell back to the bed.

"Hello...?" What didn't greet her was a response, but rather a resounding bellow of a laugh, and she soon perked up a bit more when she could immediately identify who the laughter belonged to. "Jake?

"You must be really tired to still be sleeping," he mused through a chuckle.

Her brow furrowed in bewilderment, the girl taking the phone from her ear to check the time before putting it back in its place. "Jake, it's barely going to be twelve on a Saturday. You're weirder for actually being up before noon," she retorted bitterly.

"You're lucky you're on the other end of the phone, Brennan. No one calls me 'weird'."

"Everyone calls you weird. Just not to your face."

Jacob's laughter once again came through the speaker, a soft smile playing Brennan's lips. "Whatever you say, Bren. Anyways, I'm calling you for a reason, not to be your wake up call."

"Oh? And what's this reason?"

"You wanna go out?" Any last trace of sleep seemed to vanish from her being, her eyes widening at his proposition. "Sam and Emily are having a get together to watch the game this afternoon. You couldn't make it last week, so... how about this one?"

A bit of disappointment resided in the pit of her belly, and she hated how she had jumped to a conclusion like that. Part of her hated that she was even hoping for that at all with how recently she had just met the guy. Since when was she this boy crazy?

"Uh... Brennan, you still there?"

Brennan realized that while she was going back and forth with herself she hadn't even replied to his question, and she felt like a fool because of it. "Uh, yeah..." she answered, rolling her eyes at how incoherent she must have sounded.