Chapter 12

It had been three weeks since Chris's first date with Holden. They had gone out multiple times ever since and everything was going great. Chris was happier than he had been in a long time and his leg was much better, as well.

He really enjoyed Holden's company and got butterflies in his stomach every time he called or just sent a new text message. Even a simple "Ok" meant the world to him, especially because Holden was in the habit of adding some kind of an emoji after every single one of his texts. Usually, it was just the regular smiley face, but sometimes he felt a bit rebellious and added a bunch of hearts or a kiss emoji.

In some ways, Chris felt like a teenage girl with all the texting and late night phone calls. But he didn't care. He was having so much fun and Holden definitely brought out the best in him.

"Okay, we should get going," Holden's voice brought him back to reality.

"Yeah, yeah," Chris nodded. "Let me just... grab a coffee to go."

"Another one?"

"Hey, don't judge," Chris started as he got up, "It's been a stressful week."

Holden flashed him a wide smile. "I'll wait in the car."

Chris smiled back and walked to the counter. "A cappuccino to go, please."

The barista only nodded with a fed up look on her face and walked to the coffee machine. Chris shook his head, digging up his wallet.

He paid for the drink and turned to leave. On his way out he heard a familiar voice calling his name on his right. He stopped but didn't turn his head. He couldn't. He was completely frozen.

"Chris, you okay?" Chris glanced at the hand on his shoulder, not saying a word. He turned around and slowly raised his head until his eyes met Darren's worried, hazel ones.

"I'm fine," he then said, squeezing the coffee mug in his hand.

"Are you sure? You don't... You don't look so good."

Chris was silent for a second. "I have to go," he then muttered.

"Chris, wait," Darren cried out. "Let's... catch up."

Chris scoffed. "Let's catch up? What on earth makes you think I'd wanna do that?"

Darren sighed. "Look, I... I messed up. But I really need to tell you something."

"Sorry," Chris snorted. "I'm not interested." He turned around and walked to the door.

Just as he grabbed the handle, he heard Darren's holler behind him "I told Mia everything!"

It took all his strength to keep walking, to make it through those doors. He entered the car Holden had driven near the entrance and buckled up his seat belt. "Let's go."

Holden frowned but didn't say anything until they were back on the road.

"So... What was that about?" he asked, trying not to sound too curious or judgemental.

"Nothing," Chris replied quietly. "Absolutely nothing."

*               *               *

Holden stopped the car and turned to Chris. "Are you sure you don't wanna come with me?"

"I'm sure," Chris chuckled. "You're going to a room full of teachers, I can barely be in the same car with one."

Holden laughed. "Fine. I'll see you later."

"Yeah," Chris replied and opened his seat belt. "Have fun." He gave Holden a quick kiss before getting out of the vehicle and closed the door behind him. He waved him goodbye and watched as he drove away.