Chapter 7

Melody walked to the end of the arena. It was hard to believe that this was even a competition, though it was apart of the games section of the western part of the day. When she got to the chalk line in the dirt, a whistle sounded and Orion kicked Neb forward so fast that it was hard for the other people around him to react. As he neared Melody he reached out his hand and caught her forearm and they used each other's momentum and leverage to hoist her up onto the horse so that she was sitting behind him. By the time she was properly seated they were already back through the gate. They both looked up at the scoreboard and jumbotron on the north side of the arena.

Team # 23: Melody O'Connor & Orion Carter

Time: 9.59

Rank: 2nd

Time to beat: 8.43

Orion looked down at the stopwatch he keeps on his wrist. He saves the time from the moment he gets out of the gate to the moment they both come back through. And his was almost two seconds behind. Melody slid off the back of the horse and walked over to the judges box, she had a quick conversation with them before one of them walked out of the box and followed her to Orion.

"Hey," she said, "What time does your watch say?"

"7.29 seconds from start to finish."

The judge took out her phone and clicked the play button and the timer at the same time, sure enough, Orion's watch was correct.

"I apologize, we haven't had this problem all day," the woman said.

"It's okay, I just thought I'd say something." Orion said.

They watched the scores on the board change again.

Team #23: Melody O'Connor & Orion Carter

Time: 7.29

Rank: 1st

Time to beat: 8.43

One of the other teams started yelling something and one of the judges came over and explained what had happened and that the timer had been a few seconds off. They shut up and glared at Orion who just winked at them and flashed them a smile, changing the glares to blushes.

~

Orion sat in the trailer alone. Melody had been dragged back to the hotel with her brother. Suddenly his phone rang and he picked it up, "Hey," he said, "did you get bored?"

"Not exactly." Melody said awkwardly.

"Then why'd you call?"

"Can you come over? I would rather talk about it in person rather than on the phone." She said.

"Okay? I'll be there in about ten minutes, I gotta throw on some clothes."

"Okay."

They hung up. Orion couldn't help but feel like something was wrong. It was scary for her to be so awkward and quiet.

~

Melody sat in her room staring at her lap. She was terrified, and yet, curious. She had seen something--she had to have. It wasn't just a figment of her imagination...Her thoughts were cut short by several knocks on the door. She jumped up and opened the door so fast that Orion nearly jumped backwards, "Uhm, w-why did you want to see me so quick?" He asked.

"I am losing my mind." She said.

Orion gave her an odd look and stepped inside, "Okay?"

Melody shut the door and wiped her face with her hand, "On the way over here we were in a wreck--"

"Wait why didn't you call me!" Orion interrupted.

"Let me finish...Okay so, Jason was driving, and I was in the passenger seat. I don't know if the guy was drunk or texting, or what, but Jason had to swerve, and when he did we hit a gravel spot on the road. We spun out for...i don't know...fifty yards maybe? When we stopped we were teetering on the edge of the bridge. What I hadn't realized, was that everyone else was knocked out from the impact. I was the only one conscious. I remember calling out to God, to anyone who would help me. And...my gosh I sound insane..."

"No, finish the story."

"I...I saw an Angel. But it wasn't just any angel, he looked like...he looked like you...i know it sounds stupid but it's the truth, I swear it!"

"I believe you, but what exactly did he look like?"

"His hair was more silver than gray, I don't know, it was almost like he was, surrounded by light. I swear to god man, he looked like a well built version of you." Melody said, "Oh yeah, and instead of blue eyes like yours, his eyes were gold. Like gold-gold, not like that weird hazel color that mine are."

Melody paced back and forth and Orion grabbed her shoulders, "Mel, look at me."

She looked at him and sighed, "What?"

"I believe you. Trust me...I really do believe you."