Reverie

Fiona's peripheral vision took in  her outfit, skinny ripped jeans paired with an oversized sweater. Her hair was definitely in a high pony. She was slightly dazed, wondering how she'd ended up wearing it. It was the style she sported often but.....Must've been too sleepy in the morning if I don't remember dressing...., she reasoned.

I've been staring at the edge of the water
'Long as I can remember, never really knowing why
I wish I could be the perfect daughter
But I come back to the water, no matter how hard I try

She happily murmured the lyrics to her song for the day that was playing through her ear phones. She loved Disney and Moana was a lot like her. There was that everlasting soft smile on her subtly moving lips. She remembered to hold her head high and her steps were sure - she screamed bold. Guided by pure muscle memory she easily weaved her way through the crowded hallway of Spring Valley High.

See the line where the sky meets the sea? It calls me
And no one knows, how far it goes
If the wind in my sail on the sea stays behind me
One day I'll know, if I go there's just no telling how far I'll go

People parted way for her quickly when she dropped her "Excuse please." She clutched her folder closer to her chest, she did not want to lose the notes she hadn't clipped in while she'd rushed out of her AP Computer Science class.

Too drowsy now. Freshen up.

Fiona stepped to the side and whirled into the hallway that led to the toilets. On entering she spotted a girl being backed against the far wall by two others. A calm exasperation zipped through her. The door slammed close behind her. That easily, she had the attention of all three. She removed her earphones leisurely as her scrutinizing gaze dragged across the two bullies. Their weary gazes turned cautious. She headed over to the sink, turning the faucet and splashing the water over her face, careful not to get any on her hair or earphones. She looked at the three who were still anxiously anticipating her actions through the mirror. She focused on the one being bullied. Fion's gaze softened and her usual smile returned.

Oh....the kid was walking around with freshmen on the first week of school.....welcoming committee...must be a sophomore....what else....hmm....drama club! She was hanging drama club posters the other da....

"Brendon wanted to see you urgently, something about last minute changes in the Thanksgiving play....you better hurry before bell," she said with light tone. The girl nodded eagerly and ran out. The other two stood baffled.

Weren't they auditioning for the dance club? Juniors then....Harassing a sophomore. Disgusting.

Fiona bent over and splashed water over her face again. This time when she looked up, she turned and leaned back against the sink. "Pick someone your size can't you? We don't tolerate any bullies in the dance club." She was threatening to not take them in, she was in the jury after all. It must've worked because they paled. The brunette mumbled, "Sorry...". The raven girl hung her head. With a curt nod, Fiona slipped out, hurrying to her locker.

So maybe I can roll with mine
I can lead with pride, I can make us strong
I'll be satisfied if I play along
But the voice inside sings a different song

If she was right she had two minutes more. Her locker was the very last one in the line. Fiona deftly scrolled in her combination. She was greeted by her own smile that had somehow found itself back on her face. She surprised herself sometimes. She quickly slipped her folder into its place and pulled out the book for her AP calculus.

When did I wear my earphones?

  See the light as it shines on the sea? It's blinding
But no one knows, how deep it goes
And it seems like it's calling out to me, so come find me
And let me know, what's beyond that line, will I cross that line?