Mid summer dusk

A girl with a bag sat on a bench for two on the side of a highway. The backdrop of a sprawling grassland and her mane were dancing to the whims of the gusty wind.

The warm summer heat was pleasant enough but her lifeless eyes said otherwise. Eyes so calm and cold, bearing her soul to the board sunlight.

That was fine though.

No one comes down this highway anymore. No one to stop, no one to ask. She tilted her head back as if she was staring at the heaven itself. Was she expecting answers to her questions? She realized that she wouldn't get them and closed her eyes. She thought that the eerie silence of the overgrown grassland complimented the cries of a war only she could hear.

A strange sort of beauty it was.

At that, a shy smile graced the edge of her mouth. The crazy little girl who did not feel so little, opened her eyes. She leaned forward, rested her elbows on her knees and held her head.

She leaned back once again, this time pulling her hair back in a bun atop her head. She slipped her arms into the straps of her  bag and slung it onto her shoulder as she got up. With a glance at the stranded highway one last time, she turned her back to it.

She breathed in the beckoning grandeur of the grasslands. Her eyes sought out the horizon, the bag waiting to be unloaded, she moved ahead. Her steps sure, seemed to act on their own. Almost like they knew where the next stop was.