only the worst day of your life

Chapter One:

The only thing I could smell was the aroma of wet concrete and dirt. Beneath my palms I could feel the grains of dirt upon a hard, rough surface, feeling the mixture of soil pack beneath my fingers nails as I scraped them against the coldness beneath me.

My eye lids peeled open some as I lulled my head back and forth, the scene before me was questionable as I blinked to clear my vision. I was in a small gray room, old blocks as walls and the floor was broken up with decrepit concrete unrooted in places and dark brown dirt beneath.

I could barely hold my body up as I was consumed with vertigo, and I crashed back down to the ground, landing on my hands and knees. My stomach burned and felt hot, making me press a palm against my belly. There was a deep gash there, or so I thought in the near completely void of light room.

"Fuck..." I hissed, my mind was running a mile a minute as to why I was here and how on earth I actually ended up here.

I was still dressed in my leggings and oversized sweater, I had no shoes on and my belongings were stolen. It made my eyes well up with tears as the reality of what was happening hit me. Someone had kidnapped me!

Quite suddenly I pressed the back of my dirty hand against my mouth as I began to sob softly, shaking with fear. I scooted my back against the wall, gasping in pain at my stomach as I grabbed it again. I could feel the blood and dirt I had accidentally smeared on my face.

And there I lay, sobbing as quietly as possibly because I could not see a door, and I felt so dizzy and sick. It was so so cold too, the middle of January.

I was so full of shock that I actually fell back asleep, only to be awoken by two sets of voices. They were angry and seemingly arguing over something.

"Look what you did!" A female voice huffed, "she will not be nearly as much because you injured her! I can smell the virus coming off of her!"

"She's a runner, okay?!" The male voice growled back, "don't blame me! I've worked nearly sixty hours this week wrangling these whores! I'm fucking 67 years old! You damn blood suckers don't think about anything but yourself!"

There was a sharp hiss and the man grunted in fear, quickly grabbing my arm and jerking me up. I cried out, eyes snapping open as fear consumed me.

"Watch yourself. You are lucky to even have this job. You are treated better than most humans here anyway.." the woman's voice dropped, a growl rumbling through it... and I knew she was not human.

There was an old man, tall and dressed in very weather worn clothing. He had deep set eyes and under eye circles that very much coincided with his story of having worked 60 hours a week and being so old. His hands were giant as it had clamped around my skinny arm.

The lady was nearly as tall as him, but darkness nearly engulfed her fully as she stood more so in the corner of the room, away from the light completely. I could see her red eyes, and her shining teeth as she smirked at me.

"What a beauty..." The man chuckled, caressing my face and I jerked away, glaring at him. I didn't get very far as his was holding me painfully tight.

"I will have fun styling you for the auction, no wonder you got your own little cell.." the lady mused, walking towards us, but keeping away from the light bulb that was now dangling from the ceiling in the center of the room. The corners of the room were consumed with darkness.

I glared at them both, backing away as far as I could even though the man was holding my upper arm, my hair fell in front of my eye as I sneered up my nose some.

"Hm... now you look like a cat when you behave like that..." another voice mused from the right of me, that I did not recognized.

It was a tall man with raven black hair, falling in front of his eyes as his eyes were yellow, glowing yellow. He was dressed in a black dress pants, a white button up with the sleeves rolled to his elbows, and overalls.

The man grabbed my chin, making me tilt my head back to look him in the eyes and I tried to pull away but the old man had an impossible grip on me.

"Where am I?" I asked, wanting to sound firm, but it came out rather weak regardless of my scathing glaring.

"Only the worst day of your life, kitten, or at least that is what the others say." The young man chuckled, moving faster than I could detect, he suddenly smiled, eyes flickering up to the old man. His hand darted out and pushed the wrist of the old man making him cry out. He was startled.

I was yanked forward with surprising strength, and we made a sharp turn along the wall to reveal a vaulted door that he simply pulled and it opened. The door had to have been several hundred pounds. It was only perhaps shy of six foot tall but it was five inches thick. The tall man before me had to duck his head as he dragged me out into a brightly lit room.

I saw other young people, although they were all dressed in dingy white t shirts with nothing but underwear beneath, I hoped. They were being pulled around just like me, but they were pulled by other, older humans.

The people cleared out of our way, terrified of the man pulling me. I began to pull at his grip a little bit, there were plenty of places to run and hide right now. I was afraid of where this man was taking me. Why was everyone so scared of him?!

"Let go!" I whimpered, pulling at the grip, tears spilling.

"Relax Rhowen..." He said, stopping suddenly and I shrank in on myself a little bit instinctively because I didn't know what he was going to do. How did he know my name?!

He placed his hand on the side of my head, pressing his forehead to mine and I tried to pull away from him but something about the way he smelled made me relax. His voice echoing in my ears as the world vibrated around me. He was doing something to my senses, I just knew it.

My eyes watered as I stared into his yellow eyes that seemed to turn red, his parted some as he shuddered, tilting my head to the side and I was stunned. I couldn't move or fight. My body wasn't moving!

Suddenly a pale white hand shoved his shoulder and he moved backwards. The air returned to me almost immediately.

"That is enough! We have two hours before the last girl needs to be off of that auction stage and we are seriously behind!" The same woman's voice from earlier fussed.

"Look how dirty she is! She is a complete mess and she was specifically one the king-" she cut herself off looking down at her clipboard, "Yes, she is right here. The king wants her to be held back for him."

"Your name is Rhowen, right?" She asked above all of the crying and screaming.

I shook my head meekly, sprouting an idea inside my head, if me being injured lowered my price then I supposed it was a good thing. Maybe. I could perhaps be sold to someone poorer and I'd have a better chance of escaping with low security.

The ladies eyes widened with shock as she looked down at her papers, sifting through them hurriedly. My eyes snapped between the man and the woman who were leaning over the clipboard.

"Here, Martha, take her and get her ready for the auction!" I was quickly handed off to another woman, when the three of them began to speak in another language. They were immediately two shades pale than before and I was terrified of what I had just done.