Chapter 12 Part 2: Let's Get Going

"Annie...what did they do to you?" sobbed Bertholdt, who cradled a comatose Annie in his arms. He held her close, and Reiner, held his head hung low while he rested his hand sympathetically on his sobbing comrade's shoulder.

"Her first time should've been special," said Reiner with a sigh, "Not like this...and..." Now she won't have that opportunity, thought Reiner. All Bertholdt could muster were further sobs. Eren approached the scene, so confused.

Annie was a monster, in his head, and here she was, defenseless, and evidently the victim of something so heinous and cruel that, for a moment, Eren did not want to butcher her. Eren closed his eyes, a cesspool of incompatible thoughts of sympathy and compassion, hate and rage, mercy and murderous intent, all brewing in his head. 

(I remind you that Eren doesn't hate Annie as much because she didn't land that many kills in this story and so only really despises her as a traitor.)

(Y/N) turned to Eren. "What's on your mind?"

"I....I...this bitch is a traitor...she deserved this, right?"

(Y/N) shrugged. "To save humanity means to throw out one's humanity; and when one is not human, can one dispense judgement?" When Eren turned to express his confusion, (Y/N) continued. "In my eyes, she's no more than another blank face with a helmet..."

"Helmet?"

"Sorry...she's simply another soldier." (Y/N) corrected with strange haste.

"I..." Eren gulped. "I guess you're right."

(Y/N) was not above compassion, however little of it he had though. He approached Reiner and Bertholdt. "Hey, you two, we'll give you as much time as yo-"

"White Cloak, stay back!" hissed Levi. In that moment, Annie's eyes shot open and she shot up, turning to see him. That painfully mild height, that (H/C) hair, styled in that (H/S) look, that light-grey cloak... It was him. That monster who deprived her of her safe place, haunted her dreams, never letting her forget. And that damned spinning bastard who wouldn't let her kill him and take her safe place back when she got lucky and caught him.

When Annie was the Female Titan, she felt safe, in control, perhaps even invincible. Sometimes she was pressured, but she had plenty of cards to fall back on. This demon with his pearly cape suddenly waltzed in, zipped straight down her arm, and she could've sworn her life flashed before her eyes. Could he have killed her right there, if he chose to? Even though that other one who spun around a lot was clearly so much faster, even she knew that Light-grey Cloak had a certain piercing psychological factor. She could feel, for some reason, that she would not have been his first human kill, and nor were any of the thugs he may have eviscerated on his way in.

"What the hell?" Reiner startled. "Annie...what are you--"

Annie suddenly gripped the chair on the ground, and clutched her wrist with her other hand.

Reiner and Bertholdt stared at each other, realizing how ringless her finger was. They stood up and backed away. "Annie, what are you doing?" Bertholdt shuddered.

Levi grumbled. "Oi, Eren, we'll need you to transfo-"

Annie smashed her head into the corner of the chair. In that instant, the room froze, and a collective gulp rolled down the throats of everyone.

"....Run!" screamed Eren. Levi Squad and its reinforcements poured out of the building as frantic and terrified as the civilians they fought for fled through the gates of the walls.

Annie brought her head down against the corner of the chair like a sledgehammer.