Chapter 9: Capture to Capture

Annie had a lot of questions after that. What were those pricks scared of? She expected, no, knew they should be smug, but here they were whimpering for a few rookies to stop bothering them. 

She had asked her officer about it, but he very obviously pretended he had no idea. Not willing to press the matter further, Annie decided she'd investigate on her own. Something about this excited her and bothered her deeply. Perhaps it was a coping mechanism to deal with that monster.

A disguised Annie strolled through the streets, patrolling. Her best bet would be to spy on perhaps an illegal trade deal. Stohess was full of slime-bags, so it had to be easy. And it was. She found another illegal equipment trade almost right by the same place she saw the one earlier in the day.

She peeked around a corner, listening in on their conversation.

"Geez...even the rookies are jumping at us these days. That freak jumping us was enough..."

"Fucking hell...that prick can go mind his busine-"

Annie tuned out and spun around to take down a foe, a large man in concealing clothing. In doing so, she found that he had backup and received a resounding blow from a mace to the forehead. Her vision blurred, her ears rang, and the Shifter fell down on her butt. When the large man who initially attacked dove at her, she slammed her feet into his stomach. 

BANG!

A sharp pain gnawed at Annie's chest as her vision faded out. Her ringing ears could only pick up a few last things.

"You bastard! That damn trigger finger..."

Annie's breath became ragged as she let herself succumb to unconsciousness.

"Now what are we going to do?"

"Shit, we'll take her with the equipment, but that'll cost you..."

In the meantime, the Scouts had already gained their prime suspect for who the Female Titan was. All of the signs pointed to them. A member of the 104th, able fighter, that stance...it was her, Annie Leonhart.

They knew she was an MP currently working in Stohess. They couldn't cooperate with the MP on this one for certain.

Erwin stood tall at the meeting table. "We must extract Leonhart.."

Hange scratched her head. "They'll notice her disappear, though." She said, chuckling nervously.

"I did not say 'in secrecy', however." Erwin shook his head. He knew Levi would catch his hint almost instantly, and turned to check the other man's reaction. Sure enough, Levi cringed.

"This better not be another one of your damn gambles." hissed the short man.

"We don't have a choice, Levi. Here is what I have in mind..."

Commander Erwin's plan was truly a gamble, a wild, deadly one. But it was the only thing they could do. His plan was to enter and capture Annie, and provoke her into transforming. The Scouts would then defeat and capture her. She would be swiftly brought to justice.

There was still the issue of (Y/N). All hands had to be on deck for the mission in Stohess, so there was no one to watch him. Therefore, Hange had the bright idea of bringing him along. 

He was more than delighted to. It was his calling. As everyone wrapped up preparations, (Y/N) approached Eren and co. with Petra in tow.

"Hey, Eren...who is 'Annie'? I've heard everyone speaking of her." stiffly asked (Y/N).