XX ➳ table one-twelve | ruby 9.1

This part is dedicated to rubyredpoetry for reading every single part as it comes out, commenting and voting and just generally being really active on this book. Your support means a lot

----

"Service!" the head chef, Max, yells from my left. I sigh and throw the cloth I was holding onto the loose shelf in front of me, before running to the pass and perching my elbows on the edge.

"Yes, chef?" I answer quickly as I take in the food in front of me. Lobster on the left. Ribeye steak on the right, clearly well-done. Both with fries.

Max looks at me sharply before returning his eyes to the ticket. "One-twelve," he snaps.

Immediately I turn and head towards table one-twelve. Two boys sit there, roughly my age. "Shit," I mutter under my breath. I hated serving people I vaguely knew. What if I approach them as a friend and they don't recognise me? What if I don't and they think I'm being rude?

As I approach, one of them glances as me, and makes my decision for me. "Ruby!" the boy exclaims. "How the hell are ya?"

I hold the plates awkwardly as my eyes dart between them. I had no idea who either of these boys were, but they certainly seemed to know me.

"I...I'm good thank you. And you- erm, so who has the lobster?" I manage, feeling my cheeks flush crimson at my shyness.

"That would be me," the other boy grins, as he begins to clear the table for his meal. I dart my head to look at his face. Sweet heavens he was gorgeous. Ocean blue eyes that seemed to wash up on his sun kissed skin. Brown, floppy curls fell onto his forehead. A jawline so sharp-

"Ruby? And my meal?" the other boy stated pointedly.

"Yes. Um, your meal, the..uh," I started.

"The ribeye," he said, louder than before.

I could actually feel the heat rising from my face as I placed the meal in front of him, and I didn't  have time to ask if they wanted anything else before I ran off back to my station, and used the dirty cloth I had thrown on the shelf earlier to cover my face and hide my shame.