Chapter 1

Marella stared at her reflection in a puddle. A pair of sea blue eyes stared back, so simple yet complex. Like her life. Answers, that's all she ever wanted. So many questions. Not enough time. That's what her dad always said.

A drop of rain fell into the puddle causing her reflection to blur.  She continued along the side of the road. Her feet stepping, one foot at a time. She had memorized the path to where she lived. Past the grocer, turn right, past the Browns fields, don't tread on Mr. Silverman's daffodils, wave to Willa and Max as you passed, turn left, straight on, past the farm store that sold the best chocolate milk, past Maggie's house, Bertha's house, and Charlies stables where Flapjack was waiting. And then her house.

She didn't have to look up when she walked along her driveway. Every day it was the same path. 

She opened the door to her house. She read the note on the counter. 

'At store. Be back soon. Dad.' 

Marella threw her bag down on the bench and ran outside. 

"FLAPJACK!" She called as she ran over the fields and hopped the fence. She ran up to the stables and opened the doors. 

Charlie was petting Daisy on the nose.

"Hey, Mare!" Charlie called.

"Hi Charlie," Marella replied. He had choppy dark brown hair and green eyes. He wore jeans, a shirt, and of course boots.

Charlie helped his parents run the stables. They also took care of Flapjack for Marella.

Marella ran up to Flapjack and let him out of his stable. 

"Need some help?" Charlie asked as Marella began to climb on Flapjack.

"Yeah," Marella said as Charlie helped her onto her horse and went to put Daisy away.

"Want to come riding with me?" Marella asked.

"Sure, I'll catch you up," Charlie replied as he opened up Midnight's stall. 

"Like that's going to happen," Marella called as she and Flapjack galloped out of the barn before stopping to wait for Charlie.

"Forgot something?" Charlie asked as he placed the helmet he was holding on Marella's head. 

Marella felt her cheeks go warm as his finger brushed her cheek. 

He bolted ahead of her. She raced after him.

"Faster Flapjack," Marella called.

Wind and rain whipped her face. A typical day in Wales. She didn't mind. She liked the wet

It made her feel at home.