Chapter 2

I woke up extremely woozy. It was almost like a hangover except without the headache, either way it was just as disorienting. My eyelids fluttered, but I squinted at the bright light encompassing the entire room which made it difficult to fully open my eyes. When I could finally open them I understood why the lighting was so harsh, white, white, and more white was the sole color scheme of the room. That's strange my room has an ocean blue theme and had a plaid bedspread. I jump back in realization: this isn't my room. Right! Last night was the night of The Hunt. Crap, how could I have forgotten.

Geez, where am I? Last I remember the two black wolves were on either side of my flank and then they bit into my... Oh god, my neck! I ran to the adjoining bathroom and hit the light. To my horror I discovered a detailed grey design on the right side of my neck. It was shaped into a crescent moon yet extended out like a spider web in an intricate interlocking design. It was like a tattoo. It was my worst nightmare: the mating mark. I turned my head to the side and was aghast at the sight that I saw. Directly on the left side of my neck there was a blue star with a similar interlocking design as the one on my right. Wait two marks? Then that means that both the wolves successfully marked me. Huh? How is that possible? I can't have two mates, no one can. That's physiologically impossible. Even when they had settled pack disputes with the double bite there was only ever one winner.

I smelled the delicious aroma of food wafting through the air. My stomach growled and in an effort to appease my hunger I followed my nose. Ironically that was my mother's advice to make it through the game unscathed to begin with. I sniffed the air and ended up in the kitchen. An older woman stood in front of a stove stirring onions. My stomach growled again and the woman jumped in surprise. She turned around slowly shaking in fear to face me and then screeched loudly. I fell back as if wounded. I then felt my back hit the cold marble flooring, my bare back. Wait a minute. I peered down only to realize I was stark naked. I grabbed an available baking tray on the counter and covered myself with it. I apologized to the frightened woman profusely but she just took her rolling pin and smacked me with it repeatedly while screaming at me in Spanish. The more I tried to get her to understand the more she yelled and harder she hit. Suddenly a girl walks into the kitchen she has dark hair and deep grey eyes. Kind of like that—wait...it is that girl from this morning. She speaks to the cook in Spanish. The two are speaking so fast that I have absolutely no hope in understanding, additionally considering my knowledge of the language was very mediocre.

She turned to me, “Sorry, she thought you were a criminal. So you're finally up, huh?”

I tilted my head dubiously, “Finally?”

“Well ya, you have been out for a couple days. Oh, here,” she replies handing me a robe to cover up with.

I accept it hesitantly, “Where am I?”

“The Dorian residence,” she countered quickly.

When my face showed no sign of remembrance she quickly specified. “The home of Christian Dorian. He claimed you in The Hunt. He was the big black wolf, remember? He's sort of like a freakishly huge mutant. Tall, grey eyes, dark hair, ringing any bells here?”

“Yes, but why am I here?” I asked puzzled.

“Well you are Christian's mate and since he is not of your pack, you come to him.” She giggled, “Haha I guess that's literally true now as well.”