You, Me and Us

Chapter 1

The first thing she could hear was nothing at all and it's all she's ever heard since she was born. Her hearing was impossible to understand or to even apprehend besides how could anyone understand a girl who can't even hear what everyone else is saying about her? Lulu was a girl who some would call a special case and she hated that name 'special' because she believed that she was normal not special. Lu's life being special wasn't a good one especially if you have annoying younger twins, Charlotte and Kane, and an older brother, Ezekiel, along with an overprotective mother. The twins made noise and racket and it was hard to notice when you couldn't even hear it as well her brother who brought home different girls every night who thought she was creepy. To top it all off she had her mother, only aged 32, who had her oldest at age 15, who had only cared about her second eldest since her birth. Because of her hearing issue, she had to work multiple jobs for Lu to overcome many surgeries to help with her ears but the only thing that helped was that she had taught Lu sign language and had learnt it herself in order to teach her. Now with Lu at age 16, she's so protective that she doesn't let her go anywhere unless she's been there first. It wasn't like Lu wasn't grateful or anything but it kind of made her feel a little lonely and isolated from the world. Right now all she wanted was to hear what others were saying about her, the teases, the rumours, the lies, the gossip and even all of the painful stuff. The one thing Lu always wanted but could never get was one sound or voice.

Ben however seemed the same but not exactly. He had been 'special' since he first started middle school, at age 12. His life was normal with friends and family until the incident. In that time, some of the more popular boys and girls in his class had started to pick on him, just for the fun of it. The bullying and the teasing, it had all been too much for Ben, so to try and rid of the pain, he went and put a knife down his throat. If his older sister and her boyfriend hadn't walked in, he never would've choked up and ruin his voice box. 10 hours of surgery after that but even when they told him all was fine, he couldn't bring himself to talk anymore and from that day foreword, no one ever talked to him again because they knew he couldn't talk at all. What was the point of talking to a guy who could listen but not talk back? Even that took the fun out of teasing according to his peers, along with his friends and his family. His family of his three older sisters and himself was pretty hectic. One was the mature eldest, one was a man-eater and the last was a slacker. Ben as the youngest was the baby of the sisters and since he could remember they have always tried to find his voice but it was never possible. As far as Ben knew, his voice was long gone.

Lu was very nervous and shaken up, it was her first day at high-school and it was a school that specialised in sign language that had been noticed by her mother. Her brother, Ezekiel, would be there with her but it didn't make her feel any better about herself, she would be the only person who couldn't hear what the teacher was saying. The school yard was bustling with people laughing and goofing around, in their green and blue uniforms and shiny black shoes. Her own uniform felt a little weird, she had to buy it all from a second hand shop and it was all a size too small for her. Her green skirt was up really high and her shirt had to be tucked into her skirt but it made her breasts bulge from underneath. Her blue jacket was the only thing that fit her properly but the uniform overall made her look a little bit like a high-school slut. She had no idea of what others were saying as she passed by with Zeki but he did and took her hand, moving them away as fast as possible. It confused her for a second then she realised, he was just protecting her from being clique-bait. As soon as they got to her assigned classroom, he patted her on the shoulder and she looked up at him. Moving his hands and mouth, he said, "Have a good day today. If you need me, I'm one text away," Lu smiled and nodded happily, she would have a good day today and not a thing would distract her from it. Skipping into her classroom, she made her way to a seat and opened her bag. Unfortunately, someone moved into the desk next to her and bumped her hands, consequently knocking everything to the floor. As she got down and began to pick up all of her belongings, a pair of grey sneakers came into view and they bent down to help her. When she looked up, Lu looked at him vaguely and Ben's eyes widened at the face of a sweet yet sexy girl who couldn't even hear him if he could talk.