VII. MIXED

317,899 likes / 1765 comments

laylathall

love of my life, you've hurt me.

#maryaustin #bohemianrhapsody

Today was to be an emotional day on set. It was to be a heavy scene between Rami and Layla where while showing a performance of Love Of My Life, the song written for Mary Austin, Freddie finally confesses to Mary that he believes himself to be bisexual.

Layla and Rami had been going over the scene for a bit that morning in between takes. Questioning the approach they wanted to take. How they wanted the scene to be portrayed. Every little detail. Layla had always been a perfectionist, and she knew how important this scene, and this actual moment in Freddie and Mary's history was.

There was no getting this wrong. It had to be perfect.

"And... action!"

"The whole night, I didn't know if they understood a thing I was saying... And then..." Rami began the scene, moving himself to take a seat beside Layla, apprehension in his movements, a mirrored body language in Layla as Mary as the television cut to the live performance.

Tears were fought back, as Layla calmed back into the couch, eyes gazing on intently.

"They're all singing, thousands of them... all singing to you." Layla turned to Rami, a broken hearted look on fair features. "... Because it's true."

'Mary' knew something was wrong. She knew her 'Freddie' wasn't the way she knew him to be. "Freddie, what's wrong?" Her voice was soft, calming. The two turned to face each other. "Something's been wrong for a while now."

The conversation was hitting its peak. The silence was deafening. The pain across the actor's faces stronger then ever. "Say it... Say it..." The sound from her lips was a whisper. She knew what was coming.

"I've been thinking about it a lot, I think.... I think I'm bisexual."

The real life memories of Layla's came flooding back to her in that very single moment. She remembered being in this same spot. While their timelines ran differently... she knew in many aspects what would've been going through Mary's mind at that time.

"Freddie, you're gay." Moving up from the couch, 'Mary' stood, gazing out the window. "I've known for a while now, I just didn't want to admit it." God I remember feeling like this. I remember it all. "It's funny, really, this is what I always settle for. I love you, but... I love you, Mary, but I need space. I love you, Mary, but I've met someone else. And now, I love you but ---." Her words stopped there, as she held her arms close to herself. "And this is the hardest because it's not even your fault." Slender fingers moved to pull of her engagement ring.

"No... don't take it off. Don't take it off." He moved up off the couch with quick haste. "You promised me you'd never take it off."

"What do you want from me?"

"Almost everything... I want you in my life." It was becoming a struggle at this moment for Layla to continue to fight back tears. She knew what it was like to have this moment. She knew it all too well.

"Why?"

"We believe in each other, and that's everything. But..."

Her hand moved up to graze gently across his face, shaking while doing so. "Your life is going to be very difficult." Her hand moved away once more, moving herself out of the scene as the tears finally hit her. And Rami.

"CUT! Wonderful! Absolutely wonderful! Let's get ready to run the scene again, 10 minutes everyone." Called the director, both actors still in their last standing place. Layla had moved to sit upon the bedroom in the bedroom set, head in her hands as the tears got to her more then ever, Rami still standing where 'Mary' had left him. If he didn't know that Layla had had the exact same thing happen to her as Mary did, he probably wouldn't of known to go see her, and just thought she needed a moment to get back to it to run the scene again. But he knew she needed more.

Rami moved himself into the set where Layla hadn't left, soft whimpers filling the empty room. "Layla, are, are you okay?"

At the sound of Rami's voice, she lifted her head up, wiping away the tears in her eyes, doing her best not to smudge the makeup she had on. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. I'll be fine." She did her best to cover up exactly how she felt inside but she knew she wasn't doing a good job at it.

"Come here..." He moved to sit beside her, wrapping his arms loosely around her body, as her head fell on his chest. She needed this. Just someone who knew what had happened to give her a hug and let her know it was fine to cry it out.

She had never let herself cry over her breakup with her ex. She forced herself to keep moving. Not allowing herself to take a break, because she knew if she did - this would happen and she'd never get out. Even when she lost her job and it sent her into a slump, she wouldn't let herself sit in her apartment and do nothing. But with the reality of the scene she was shooting, the memories were all too real.

The love of her life, had hurt her.

And god, she was praying for a miracle to make the pain go away.