002

A spoken word poem titled:

"What's love to you?"

Performed sometime in the latter half of the year of 2017

—          —          —

Every person has a different concept of love. 

So which "love" are we talking about? 

Love is something shapeless that we try to give form. Something that simply isn't tangible, but we try to force it into the mold of a word. 

We still try to forcibly define it.

Some people say that "love is blind." But it's not love that is blind, but the person in question themselves. It's just another excuse to justify one's willful ignorance.

Some people say "love is a Pied Piper." Something or someone that gives promises or big lies. 

The thing is, is that you can't tell them apart until it's far too late. And yet they're the ones who either haven't experienced it themselves, or continue to keep falling for it. 

Whether they're conscious about it or not is another matter entirely.

Some people say "love is everything." 

But nothing is everything. Everything is nothing. 

You can't feel true love without experiencing resentment or hate. 

Without suffering, there's no true joy. 

No true happiness without the pain and sorrows. 

Love is everywhere yet nowhere, it is everything yet nothing. 

Otherwise, that love is shallow. 

You cannot experience true hope without losing everything. 

You cannot have the joys of connection without risking the sorrows you may face.

So love is pain linked to pain, fragility linked to fragility, linked deeply in their wounds. 

There is no appreciation until you've had your wings taken away and you taste the dirt instead of the sky— no acceptance without the sense of experiencing acute loss. 

Even light is treasured more when there's darkness. Only do we experience our first violent storm on the darkest of nights do we learn to yearn for the comfort of the sun.

So which came first? Love, or despair?

What's love to you...?