A Guinea Pig's Home

Guinea pigs, like all living things, need a home for protection and shelter. Whether that would be out in the woods, high up on a cliff or in your bedroom, all guinea pigs love cosy and warm places to cuddle up in. 

CAPTIVE

Guinea pigs living in your house live a very different life from the ones in the wild, the biggest difference being their homes. To have a healthy guinea pig and let it have the closest possible life experience as wild ones, they require at least a 106 x 60 centimeter square cage . Their cage should also include:

- A shelter (roof, cave, house)

- A bowl of water

- An alternative bottle and bottle holder

- Bowl for pellets

- Chips on the base (as in wooden chips)

- Straw over the chips

- A hay holder

- A rock to scratch off excess nails (alternative)

- Some form of entertainment, such as a toy or large pipe

Guinea pigs also need a great deal of attention, both socially and physically. They need at least one more guinea pig with them to not feel lonely. It is preferable to get two females if you've never had guinea pigs before, as they're less messy. It's not recommended to get two different genders, unless you're a breeder or have professional knowledge with guinea pigs. 

Here's a list of what guinea pigs would need from you:

- Hold them, but not too much. When guinea pigs are fully used to you, they won't run away from you when you try to pet them. Try not to be seen as a prey animal, and make petting an enjoyable experience for them by feeding them vegetables at the same time, for example (More about what to do with new guinea pigs in the next manual.)

- Let them out from their cage at least 30 minutes per day. They need to exercise to not accumulate too much fat. Just let them walk around your room or explore in a bigger enclosed space. Never leave your guinea pigs alone in your room. Also make sure to not leave any cables out for your guinea pigs to nibble on. Guinea pigs cannot eat them and will run a risk of being electrocuted.

- Please leave a comment below about your opinion of this article so we can make it even better.

- Vote for it if you want more content like what you have seen here.

- Follow us here on Wattpad to stay tuned for more articles on how to take care of your guinea pig/s.

Thanks for reading!