Chapter 1 - Okami

15 minutes prior

He pulls her head back by her braids and drags her into the hall. I scream. I try punching his arms but with one hand he sends me flying back into the lobby. I jump onto my feet instantly, but, before I can get to the hall, I see the shadow of a man hover over me.

I freeze and all I can feel is my heart beating through my chest. I hear his heavy breaths behind me right before his shadow crouches. I leap to the right just as the man lunges forward. His side makes a loud bang against the arc of the hallway. As he gets up, a piece of the wall crumbles to the floor.  I lower myself into a defensive position and I feel my nails and teeth elongate.

"Abomination" he snarls. The man lunges again and I jump just in time to land on top of his back. Underneath me his body begins to shift and he tries to shake me off. I claw deep into his back and try to hold on. His left hand twists back and grabs my left arm. I cry out in pain and bite down on his constricting fingers as hard as I can.

"AAaaah you bitch!" he screams and pulls his hand back. One of the fingers doesn't move from my mouth and I spit it onto the floor. "Get off of me!" he growls out in a monstrous voice half-human half-wolf. His other half-shifted hand claws into my right side, and he slams me into the ground. All of the air in my lungs escape and I'm helpless as he, on all fours, hovers over my body. Now completely shifted, the wolf's two luminous green eyes stare down at me. It's oil black fur body entraps mine and it grins with its menacing canines. I spit blood at his face and watch as it's mouth darts to my throat.

A blur of copper-red flies out at the beast and sends them both tumbling behind my head. I whip around to see her trying to lock her teeth onto the neck of the much smaller stranger wolf. Her mouth is already covered in blood. I call out, "mom!" but she doesn't respond. She flips the wolf onto its back and begins tearing at its underside. The wolf whines out in agony. For a single moment, she looks up to me and speaks to my mind, 'go to the tunnel.' With that, the stranger wolf has enough time to latch onto her neck and flip them both over. Before I can manage to hear her cry out, I bolt into the opposite direction. My whole body feels like fire as I sprint barefoot against the wooden floor.

Into the hallway, I pass by the bloodied body of the wolf that had just dragged her. I reach the end of the hall and burst open the door to their bedroom. I slam it behind me and lock it. With my hand still on the handle, I turn towards the bedroom. The doorknob begins to burn, so I let go and charge into the closet. I smell something burning and I turn back to see that the entire entrance to the bedroom is on fire. The flames slowly try to make their way towards me. I turn back to the closet, flip over it's grey rug, and lift up the wooden panel underneath that has only two slits for hands to fit through. I push the panel to the side and reveal the tunnel just as I begin to uncontrollably cough. Before I even know what I'm doing, I'm jumping into the darkness

My feet slam silently against a cold concrete floor. As the smoke oozes in, I hastily strain on the tips of my toes to grab the wooden panel. My hands wander blindly around the closet floor until I feel the hard wood brush against one of my arms. I slip my pointer finger into one of its slits and pull it towards me. The wood is so heavy, it makes my finger begin to ache until it is close enough for me to properly grab it. It thuds back into place and takes all of my sight with it. I collapse to the floor.

I can't even see my own hand in front of my face, but I can feel my nails and teeth retract.