Not So Bad

Mom didn't seem to notice Solveigh's hesitation because she opened the door and cheerfully helped her out of the car. As they shuffled through the parking lot, Sol clung to her mother's arm like a vice. She wanted to turn around and drive right on home, but it was too late to change her mind.

They stepped into the school and Sol was slapped in the face by a wall of cold air. It felt heavenly after the sweltering heat of the Florida summer. "Hi!" a cheerful voice rang out in front of them, "Welcome to the Miami Academy for the Blind. How can I help you?"

Sol almost bumped into the front desk before Mom stopped her. "Yes, we're here for...," Mom paused and dug around in her purse, "Dr. Shane Brady's class."

"Oh, Mr. Shane?" the receptionist trilled, "His room is down the hall on your left. Second door on the right. You're a little early, but he should be here any minute."

But instead of going straight to the room, Mom started talking to the front desk lady. This was where Sol would usually wander off, but seeing as she was tied to her mother for all practical purposes, she stayed put. Sol was just about to try to get her mother's attention when the front door banged open.

A loud, angry voice snapped, "Let go of me, Tony! I can walk by myself!"

Another voice hissed back, "Quit acting like a baby! You can't- Look out!" The voice stopped abruptly as something crashed to the ground. A string of expletives filled the air. They, too, were abruptly cut off as the second voice called out apologetically, "I'm sorry. I'll pick it up."

The receptionist assured the guy, Sol assumed it was Tony speaking, that it was fine. Mom took Sol's arm and whispered, "Come on." Sol had never wanted to be able to see something go down more in her life. Sound only filled in part of the picture.

The incident in the foyer was quickly forgotten as they reached the classroom. Sol felt like everyone was staring at her, which was ridiculous considering this was a class for the blind. For a long, awkward moment they stood in the doorway then someone said, "Oh, hey. Are you here for Mr. Shane?"

Mom must have nodded because the girl who had greeted them continued, "Awesome! It'll be great to have a new face, even if we all look the same to each other. I'm Rebecca Shen, but you can call me Becca." Becca walked over and took Sol's free arm. "I'll show you to a free seat."

Mom gave Sol a quick kiss and whispered, "Have fun." Sol felt strangely abandoned as Mom's footsteps faded down the hall.

Becca's voice sounded in her ear, "I'm really glad you're here. We girls are way outnumbered, and we need all the reinforcements we can get."

A boy's voice said, "You act like this is a war."

"Ain't it?" Becca said with a laugh, "Ignore Lloyd, he's an idiot." Lloyd gave a gasp of mock hurt and a few other kids laughed. "Anyway," Becca continued, "Let me introduce you to everyone."

"I already introduced myself, and you sort of met Lloyd. I'll just go in alphabetical order 'cuz that's easier..." Including Solveigh, there were eleven kids in the class. There was Jacob Aaron, Janelle Bailey, Trey Bauer (the angry kid from the lobby), Chris Brighton, Lloyd Carter, Gabby Granger, Colton Harrison, Derek London, Max Parker, Becca Shen (she was the unofficial leader of the group), and lastly Solveigh herself.

Everyone was pretty cool, except Trey, who never said anything, and Derek, who was just nasty. Sol still wasn't certain about this whole thing, but she was starting to think that maybe this wasn't going to be so bad.