Chapter 3

Although she kept her hands busy by washing the smoky scent from the pups, her mind zoomed from one worry to another with the speed of a NASCAR race. What would she do now? What about her job at the animal shelter? Now that the barn burned, where would she live if not in the loft? Did God have something personal against her, for her fresh start to begin with disaster? Wasn't it all but a flashing neon sign advertising that she'd made a wrong decision to move here?

Oh no. Would her new veterinarian partner want to rebuild the animal shelter?  She'd never spoken with him directly, but had been interviewed by the relocating vet who was to hire a replacement partner.  What did the future hold for her?

Skyler sighed deeply.  Only two hours ago she was giddy with glee, full of positive attitude, and excited at the potential for the new direction she was taking with her life.

Despite the animal shelter in ashes down the lane, again and again, she wondered just WHO precisely was Matthew? Where had he come from and would she see him again? He wasn't what she would call handsome, covered head to toe in grime, but there was something about him -- something she liked.  Something she hadn't felt for a very long time.  Something that happened instantly when their gaze met. Well, Skyler conceded, their head-on collision could have knocked her senses out of whack. She'd simply misread their physical impact. Nah. It wasn't chemistry.