Chapter 5

Matthew leaned his back against the wall and stuck his hands in his belt loops, regarding her with that same lazy, sexy smile. Disturbed, Skyler looked away.

Matthew held out one large hand. "I'm Matthew Deswick by the way." When her much smaller hand gripped his in a handshake, Matthew attempted to regulate his breathing.   He'd prayed for God to make the way clear, to make the path obvious in the direction Matthew should take his life. Now this woman was fresh-out of places to live until the barn was reconstructed. How did you invite a gorgeous woman you've just met to spend the night without making it sound like a pick-up line? "Welcome to London, Skyler."

She snorted ineloquently. "Yeah sure.  I arrive just in time for heat lightning to strike and start an inferno.  Some omen, huh?"

Matthew tried to catch his breath, reminding himself of why he couldn't let himself like her.  Or hug her athletic body.  Yet he couldn't release the smooth olive hand in his. Her touch was affecting him like being struck with a white-hot bolt of heat lightning. "Hmm. Start an inferno is right."

He reluctantly released her hand when she tugged. She nibbled on her bottom lip as her indigo eyes narrowed on him. Her honey-sweet voice seemed to pick up a little spice when she asked, "How was it that you were there at the fire so quickly?"

"I live here."