CHAPTER 1

Gurbani's POV:

I had finally bid farewell to my parents at the departure gates at Amritsar International Airport. They were very skeptical on me travelling to a foreign country alone, but I had made them promise that if I passed Year 12 with good marks, I would get to go on a trip across Europe, and that's what happened. 

As the gates shut behind me, I took a deep breath and looked across the airport. This is it. I am now independent. Well, at least for another 30 days, and the countdown begins now. 

I head towards the baggage check in line for international departures.

"Gurbani Dhillon?"

I turn around, my eyebrows furrowed and I nod my head, "yeah, that's me"

"Could I please get you to come with me?"

Confused, I follow the Government official as she leads me to a separate hallway. She finally turns around, 

"I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience ma'am but you cannot travel to London."

And there go my plans of independence, freedom and experience down the drain, 

"Wha-at?" I stutter,

"But I have a VISA, a ticket, and mind you, the ticket wasn't cheap at all. Do you have any idea how hard it was for me to convince my parents? How could this happen?" I run my hand through my hair, " no.... no this is not happening at all, no, it's just not possible, is this some kind of joke?"

"I'm sorry ma'am but you cannot board the flight to Heathrow International Airport. There have been some problems with the aircraft that the crew is trying their very best to sort out. So you will have to travel via a connecting flight, from Amritsar to Dubai, and from Dubai to London. The tourist group you are travelling with will meet you in London. You'll reach a day late in London, but all details have been sorted out with the tourist group, as there have been delays in some other passengers as well."

I breathed a breath of relief. Thank you Baba ji. 

And then a thought crossed my mind, "but I don't have to pay for the ticket right?"

the woman in her late 20's smiled, "no ma'am, the flight services will be attending to the costs as it is our fault. This is complementary," she assured. 

She then directed me to a separate line and talked with the man at the desk, giving him a new ticket and checking my baggage in. The man handed me my passport and boarding pass, and the woman directed me towards the international departures gate. I thanked her and headed for the security checking. 

Here we go..
                                                                                                       *****

Dubai, UAE

I stood outside Dubai International airport, looking at the world before me. I smiled to myself. This is actually happening. 

I sat into a white taxi, with my McDonalds in my hand, parked nearby and headed to the Burj. 

You can't go to Dubai and not see the Burj Khalifa right?

                                                                                                     *****

I now sat at a chair in front of the gate I was to board the flight from. I was the first to get here, but now the space was full of people of all different colours, nationalities and ethnicities. I had my backpack placed next to me and my earphones blasting songs in my ears, my eyes closed.