ch12: The Danish Express

The rest of my History class went fairly well, considering Yao and Kiku were always making fun of me... Oh, who am I kidding. I love these two.

Mr. Germania had just dismissed the class, and I was packing up, planning to walk with my two new friends.

"And she was like, 'That's against my religion!' and then I was like, 'Honey, everyone knows you're atheist.' and then she said-" I halfheartedly listened to the story Yao was explaining, still lost in my own thoughts.

Sadık pads up behind me and roughly pats my back. "See you later, little lady," he chirps, and strides off. 

"Yeah, see you...," I trail off, my eyes focused on the tall man with spiky hair exiting the classroom, his long scarf swishing behind him. I barely notice Matthias' exuberant greeting or Matthew's shy whisper as I focused on my memories.

Tim... Tim Abelsson... It had been nagging the back of my mind, since I could swear to myself I've heard that name before. Suddenly, it struck me like lightning.

I bolt out of the class, leaving all of my friends in the dust. "Tim!" I shout down the hallway. I can see him stop, and turn, confused. I wave to let him know it was me, then sprint over to where he was standing.

He bristled at my sudden close contact. "Can I help you?" He asked gruffly.

I gave him a toothy smile, my sudden take-off giving me a boost of energy and confidence. "I'm (Name)! You're Emma's brother, right?"

His eyebrows shot up at the mention of her name, making his scar twitch as well. "...Ja, she's mijn zusje. How do you know that?"

"She told me. I'm sharing a dorm with her, and we've become pretty good friends!"

Tim lets out a disgruntled 'hmph' at my statement, and my smile falters. I try again. "Uh, she told me a lot about you...?"

He was silent for a moment. "Sounds like her."

Cue awkward silence. I shuffled my feet nervously. Emma really wasn't kidding when she told me about him... I thought. I decide to restart at least a bit of dialogue. "Hey, d'you wanna walk to class together?"

He opens his mouth to answer, but a chorus of voices shout my name from behind. I whip around, and see Matthew, Matthias, Jett, Yao, and Kiku standing expectantly outside the door.

Jett, Matthias and Yao all furiously wave, while Kiku and Matthew awkwardly raise a hand.

"We were gonna walk each other to class, remember?" Jett yells, cupping his hands around his mouth like a megaphone. I nod, and turn back to Tim, but he's already gone, his scarf waving goodbye behind his back.

I deflate a bit, disappointed about how little interest he had in talking to me. Well, you can't have everything, I suppose. However, that mood is short-lived, since I was immediately greeted by two muscular arms wrapping around my shoulders.

"Gotcha, (Name)! You can't run away this time!"

I yelp in surprise as he lifts me up, but then I start giggling. "Jett, you son of a gun! Put me down, or we're both gonna be late to class."

I can almost feel his sunny smile radiating off of him. "Not until you promise you won't run away."

I sigh in defeat. "I promise! Now put me doooown."

He sets me gingerly down on the ground, and I straighten out my mussed-up blazer and tie. 

"Was that rearry necessary?" Kiku asks, looking up at a victorious-looking Jett.