Chapter Thirty-two

The bang was deafening, and the light was blinding. I was flung back, but I managed to stay on my feet. Panting, I looked up to see Hades getting up. And a rush of triumph went through me at the sight of him on his knees. But he smiled and spread his arms wide. Then, darkness, utter darkness came out of his hands and surrounded me. I could hear my friends shouting my name distantly, but all my focus was on my surroundings as I, terrified, looked around for any sign of him "not so strong now are you little Silverheart?" his voice was everywhere, I couldn't tell where it was coming from. I tried to make him come out "at least I am not hiding. This whole thing just leads back to you being a coward" I saw a flash of movement, and next thing; he was in front of me, swinging the blade at me. I barely had enough time to leap back as the blade only grazed my arm, but excruciating pain burst through it and I screamed. I heard him chuckle "neat isn't it? I took the essence of the poison I put in your darling Theo's body, and coated my sword with it. Now each little nick will hurt like you are being shredded apart" sweat beaded on my forehead as I straightened, panting "oh and did I not say? It also stops your body from being able to heal any of your wounds!" he leaped out as he said the last word, and I barely had enough time to lift Cleaver. The clash sent out another blinding ray of light, but this time I didn't close my eyes. I had to take my chance, while he was finally visible. I prayed to god to help me, I pleaded with my dagger to hit true and lunged. I hit him square in the right shoulder and he screamed as the darkness faded around us, bringing me back to the throne room. 

I didn't take any time to look at my surroundings. I wrenched the dagger out and slashed at his head, but he dodged in time. I tried to kick him but he was too fast; in a flash, he had turned and slashed at my thigh. I screamed again as the pain blinded me. I fell to the ground as my vision turned spotted "Rue, roll!" I heard Aron's voice shout, and I blindly did as told and heard Hades's sword hit the floor with a great clang. As I got up, I heard Aron scream, and turned saw that the Shadow soldier had his finger on his forehead again as the others thrashed on their chains, which were now attached to the wall. The guards and the man who had held my chains were nowhere in sight. I made my decision in a split second; I ran towards the soldier and heard as a dagger from Hades whizzed by my ear. I got to it and slashed my dagger at its neck, but it went right through. The soldier turned to me, and I heard Hades call "do it!" I realized what he meant, but before I could pull back, the thing put its finger to my forehead. And I forgot everything.

I was standing in the middle of a dark room when a light flickered on, and I found myself chained to the floor. In front of me lay Amber. I tried reaching for her, but the bindings were too short. She was sobbing and calling my name. Suddenly, Theo walked in. I let out a breath of relief. He smiled at me and, to my horror, pulled out Cleaver with one hand. With the other hand, he yanked someone out from behind a chair. It was Robin. Theo put him down next to Amber, smiled at him and said "this will hurt" and thrust the dagger into Robin's leg. I started screaming, then sobbing and clawing at my own face as Theo kept pulling out the dagger and stabbing somewhere different. As Robin screamed my name and begged my help. As I begged Theo to do it to me instead. And as Amber did nothing and just watched with horror. Then, finally, Theo lifted the dagger one more time, grinning, and put it through Robin's chest. I screamed. I lunged. I tried to break free of the chains as his little body slumped to the ground, and Theo turned to me. I looked around to see Amber standing and walking towards him, she stopped behind him and put a hand on his shoulder, smiling as Robin's blood reached her feet "Amber" I breathed. Theo reached for my face, and it was the first time I had ever flinched away from his touch. He put his hand on my cheek and smiled "why?" I whispered as tears flowed down my face. His face became grave and he said "you knew this was coming the day you had that dream" he put his hand on my shoulder, and I felt pain stab at me. I looked down to see the dagger–my own dagger–go through my chest. I couldn't say anything as I stared at it, the breath leaving my body and the pain spreading around my chest, his hands turning red with my blood–