Thursday

It was a Monday. Monday then turned into Tuesday, and then it was Wednesday all over again.

Two weeks had passed since the trial. Mrs. O'Leary had miaraculously gotten away with just a warning and a few months of house arrest, even though she had been in posession of a bag of drugs. A bag filled with 120 tablets of ecstasy to be exact. It was still a mystery how she had acquired those drugs. The interrogation that had occured a few days before the trial bore no fruit. Mrs. O'Leary did not mention how she got them; rather she talked about how the drug was a miracle for her and her husband. She would jabber on about how it made the both of them feel young again. How it had reignited the passion that was dimming in their relationship of so many years.

So the question remains, how did she get that bag of ecstasy?

According to my partner, Officer Garda, the drugs supposedly came from a drug dealer who had escaped a month ago. It matched the evidence that had gone missing when the dealer had been trying to run from the police. It had taken a month to track down Fergus, the drug dealer, because of his sneaky way of dealing. Finally when the chance to catch him dealing arrived, a pair of cops disguised as customers went to arrest him. Fergus would have been behind bars without a problem if only he didn't find out that his customers were actually undercover cops. After he had found out about their identity, he tried to escape with the bag of ecstasy. Somewhere during the chase he could've either dropped it or given it to a cohort. Both scenarios were possible, making it hard to determine which had actually occurred with just a bag of ecstasy and without any helpful info from the old lady who had been found with it.

I took a sip of hot chocolate and thought about the case and Mrs. O'Leary. Maybe there was a connection between the two cases. Something which would explain how the drugs found their way into the O'Learys household. Guess it's time to ask some questions. I grabbed my coat and set off.

The clock read 2pm when I arrived at Precinct 42. This was where Officer McNelly and Officer Doyle, the two cops who had arrested Fergus, were stationed. They were the most knowledgable people on the case with Fergus. If anyone could give me leads, it would be them. Each step I took brought me closer to getting an answer, or so I hoped.

"Good afternoon. Sir!" I greeted them with the regular salute and crisp voice that was customary for a police officer. A small smile curled in Officer Doyle's face before the both of them saluted back. "Afternoon to you too Officer Larkin." I grinned at the warm greeting. Doyle probably knew what I was here for, and that made things a heck load easier.

Hours passed. Questions were fired and answers given. I thanked the officers for their time, saluted and them took my leave. They had given me a precious tip. If I snooped around enough at the O'Learys building, I was sure to find what I was looking for. I called up my partner, Officer Garda, and told her to meet me at the O'Learys apartment tomorrow.

Thursday came as if Wednesday had been nothing. The birds still sang their songs without a care in the world and time ticked on, never turning back.

The apartment where the O'Learys lived was quaint. It seemed like it had been there for a couple of years, seeing as some areas needed repainting. I was busy admiring the scenery when Garda tapped my back. "Shall we go now?" She asked. "Sure." I replied "We need some answers."

The first few people we asked knew next to nothing about what had happened with that case. As far as they knew, Mrs. O'Leary was just an old lady who lived in the apartment, and that one day she had simply been found with a bag full of ecstasy. It wasn't untill the top floor that we got answers. The couple living above them finally had something. After a lengthy discussion about how nice the O'Learys were, and how they wouldn't be the type of people to be involved with a drug dealer, they told us something interesting. Before the ecstasy case, Mrs. O'Leary and Mr. O'Leary had been very quiet, but friendly all the same. After one day, they had changed a bit. As they were more cheerful and as if they were younger. Exactly how Mrs. O'Leary described their relationship during her interrogation before her trial.

There was that feeling. The feeling you get when you're close to finding out the answer. That you'll finally unravel the missing pieceand solve the puzzle. Guess that interrogation back then wasn't entirely fruitless after all. 

We thanked the couple and proceeded to the O'Learys place. "Guess I'm back here again." Garda said as we reached their door. Soft music could be heard from the door. They must be playing the radio again. I knocked on the door three times and the door opened just as I was about to give it a fourth try.

"Good morning Mr. O'Leary." I said with a smile. He smiled back. "Good morning to you too officers. What can I do for you today?"

Time ticked and time passed.

Mr. O'Leary told us how he had been quite stressed on days which weren't Wednesday. "They just wear me out." he started, "But after that young man gave me that bag, everything became bearable. We've even been happier than before!"

"Mr. O'Leary what was in that bag?" I asked. His eyes shifted and you could see a pang of guilt. "I'm sure you can guess. My wife got in trouble for that bag." I looked at my partner and she nodded. We had the answer.

"Mr. O'Leary could you tell us exactly when the young man gave you that bag? I asked.

"Hmm I can't exactly remember the date but..."

After he finished telling his story, we thanked him for his time. He had given us the answer we needed. The last piece of the puzzle of the two cases that were intertwined through a bag of drugs.

I'm starting to like Thursdays.