Prologue

I rushed into the hospital behind the gurney carrying my whole world. Tears streaming down my face as my pulse raced.
     "Teen-age female,  gunshot wound to the chest and three to the abdomen. Severe lacerations to the scalp and neck. Severe dehydration and malnutrition. 38 weeks pregnant. Fetus is stable as of now. No medical history. Crashed several times in the ambulance." The EMT shouts.
     A doctor rushes up and screams,  "I need a crash cart and a portable X-Ray. Prep the OR immediately. "
     "How's my girlfriend?!" I say following closely behind them.
     "Sir, we need you to leave."
     "I need to see my girlfriend!  Is she okay? Is the baby okay?"
     "Sir, please go and wait in the waiting room. The doctor will be with you when he gets the chance. In the meantime, we need to ask you a few questions." A security guard says pulling me through the door. I resist him. Pulling toward my heart.
     "Doc, how bad is it?" I scream. My knees trembling.
     "Sir, we need you to leave."
     "How bad is it?"
     "Sir, we need you to leave."
     "Doctor, she's coding." A nurse shouts from beside Lily.
     "Sir, leave! Start compressions and charge the AED."
     "It's ready doctor."
     "CLEAR!"
     "Heart rate is stabilizing."
     "Take her to the OR immediately, or we won't be able to save her or the baby."

Four hours later......

     "Mr. Wyatt..."
     I look up as the doctor calls my name, and my stomach drops when I see his face.
     "I'm sorry. We tried everything we could. Her heart was just too weak. Ms. Smith did not make it."
     "What about the baby?" I ask as my eyes fill with tears.
     He smiles at me. "Would you like to meet your son?"

And that was when my world changed forever.....