dear charlie.

(originally written June 9th, 2016)

I first read The Perks Of Being A Wallflower when I was eleven years old, and that book had a profound effect on me, even at such a young age. As I grow older I understand the book more and more, but all of the original lessons I had gleaned from it five years ago still stick with me.

You, Charlie, even as a fictional character, have taught me so much.

You have taught me that no matter what I should always strive to feel infinite.

You have taught me that it is okay to be sad and happy at the same time and that it's okay to cry.

You have taught me to always pay attention to what's on the radio because I never know what I could hear, what I might miss.

You have taught me that I should never accept brownies from a drug dealer.

You have taught me to always be there for my friends and that if they are always there for me then they are my true friends.

You have taught me that no matter what I should never lose my Myia-Esque-ness.

But most importantly, Charlie, you have taught me that it is okay to be a Wallflower, because it means I notice things.

And I understand them.

So thank you, Charlie, for everything that you have taught me.

Love Always.

Myia.