Pilot: Warped at Warp

Captain's Log, supplemental. 

Two weeks after we left Earth, we encountered an old enemy, the Solanae. In an effort to overtake our galaxy, they killed Ensign Warren, a crewman in Engineering.

Our Emergency Tactical Hologram has managed to open the file created by the crew of the Phalanx-class U.S.S. Pavel Chekov. With this information, our chief engineer is attempting to use our Warp Drive to create a subspace anomaly that we can use to seal off the Subspace Realm.

Our EMH Mk. V has diagnosed the cause of Ensign Warren's demise. It rouses my old fears to report that every cell in his body has been disrupted, similar to the effect of a malfunctioning transporter.

"Apparently," the balding hard-light construct stated, "Ensign Warren was somehow . . . Modified . . . to survive in the Subspace realm at about 16 KeV. Sadly, his body could not stay alive long after it was returned to its normal state."

"They're trying to survive in our space, like the Ciari," Barclay realized. 

"It's possible," The Doctor explained.

Barclay shook his head and tapped his intercom. "Jim. Status report."

"I'm giving her all she's got, Captain. We should have the distortion in place within the next five minutes."

"Just make sure to follow all the same specifications," Barclay warned. "Trust me. I know the effects of a subspace distortion like that."

"Aye, Captain."

* * * * * * * * * * *

Barclay materialized on the bridge a few minutes later with a cup of water in one hand.

"Captain on the Bridge," stated Myla.

"At ease," Barclay smiled. "Are we ready?"

"Ready to break the koruts Warp Drive on purpose? yes," Jim stated over the comms.

"Ghos (Make it so), mister Jim," Barclay ordered, smiling. He sat in the Captain's chair.

The ship shook as the distortion occurred, and the nebula in front of the vessel, which had dropped from warp to complete this distortion, suddenly glowed green with lightning.

"Steady, Jim."

"I'm trying, Cap-"

The ship suddenly seemed to fold in on itself.

In seconds, the nebula before them was replaced by a liquid blue cloud, luminescent in the black-and-red expanse before them.

Barclay hit his combadge.

"Barclay to Engineering. What the hell just happened?"

There was a period of silence.

"Engineering. Come in."

Finally, there was a response.

"This is Jim, Captain."

"What was that, Mr. Jim? Where are we?"

"We appear to be . . . In subspace, Captain."

Barclay sat back.

"Repeat the warp field and bring us back."

"That's the good news, Captain. Subspace for the next week in either direction is completely blocked from entering real space."

"Are you saying, Lt. Jim," Barclay managed, "That we are trapped here?"

"No, Captain," Jim stated, "But we are a week's travel from getting out of here."

At this moment, Dorian's console beeped.

"Um . . . Captain," Dorian interjected, "We're being approached . . . By five Solanae warships."