Trust

A/N I hope you guys are enjoying this story! :)

--------------------------------------

The sun scorched above us as we wandered around Time Square. Max panted with me as I collapse on the sidewalk. I was parched. My shoulders ached from the bag, so I slide it off. Max pulls out his wallet, sweaty from sitting in his back pocket for several hours. We had been out and about since 12 last night. "What do we have?" I pat my back pocket only to remember I don't have money, much less a wallet.

"23.47, a piece of gum, and a lot of lint." I watch as he pulls multiple pieces of string off of the leather. "We should get something to drink. If we're gonna keep going, we need to be fairly hydrated." He nods in agreement and takes out a crisp $10 bill. "There's a small corner store a few blocks from here. Come on."

He helps me back up and we make our way west. "So what are we doing exactly?" "I don't know." He looks over at me. Oh great. Time for another "use your brain" lecture. "El, you force me out at midnight, drag me into Time Square for someodd 10-12 hours, just so I can figure out you have no idea what we're going to do?"

"First off, you wanted to come. You came at your own will. Second, we suvived on the street for what, a year before Charollete found us? We will be fine as long as we have each other, okay?" He deeply sighs and slings his arm behind my neck. "I love you El." "I love you too Max."

--------------------------------------

The store was run down, but at this point, it didn't bother me. I gait up to the door just to find no lights were on. The place was empty and dust was everywhere. I bang on the door. "Dammit!!" Max rushes to my side. "What's wrong? Are you hurt?" "The damn store is closed. The closest one must be miles from here." I sigh and curse under my breath as I keep walking.

"You kids need a drink?" I turn around just to find an old man holding a bottle, a purple substance floating around in it. "What is it?" "Grape soda. Here, have it."

He hands over the bottle and I hesitantly take it. I offer some to Max and he shakes his head. "You need it more than I do." I shrug my not-so-broad shoulders and take a sip. I grin. "This stuff is pretty good." I take another sip. Then another. Then one more until it was gone.

"Thank you that was so ki-" I couldn't even finish my sentence before my legs gave out and I fell to the ground. My entire body went numb. That's when my head collided with the concrete.

--------------------------------------

"Thanks for making the table Ellie. I appreciate it. I can't believe you're almost 3!" I turn to my mother. I recognized the voice, but the face and name were a blur.

"Honey! I'm home!" My father too was a blank slate, but his voice was clear. Max came running in, playing with his airplanes. "Max, dinner is ready. Would you be a dear and help your sister wash her hands?"

He nods and picks me up and blows in my face. I giggle and lay my head back, smiling.

--------------------------------------

Sorry for the shorter chapter! Next chapter will be the beginning of the fantasy part of the story :)