Part 4

Buffy's POV

Cheese strings from my mouth when I take a bite of the pizza. Marty watches and laughs as I hurry to grab a napkin to clean it up.

The restaurant is small but crowded, as I suppose it should be considering the sign on the door says it's the "world's best pizza." Marty sits across from me in the red-cushioned booth, and picks up another slice of the pepperoni pizza we ordered to share.

"I bet we're already ahead of everyone else in the class on our project," I say.

"I bet nobody else has even started yet," he agrees.

Suddenly, I get a text and pull my phone out to check it.

Andi: Where are you? I thought we were meeting at The Spoon today.

I let out a small gasp of realization.

"What's is it?" Marty wonders.

I shake my head. "Just Andi asking where I am."

Buffy: I'm home sick today. I forgot to tell you.

I don't want her to know I'm with Marty, because I know she's going to think too much into it.

Andi: Yeah, I'm with TJ and Cyrus right now, and they don't believe you either.

Buffy: Okay, fine. I'm with a friend.

Andi: What friend could make you forget about our plans today?

Andi: Wait.

Andi: Is it Marty?

I stare at my phone for a second.

Marty notices my hesitation to text back and asks, "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, it's fine," I respond.

Buffy: Yes, but it's nothing.

All of a sudden, I get a text from Cyrus in our group chat with the three of us.

Cyrus: YOU'RE WITH MARTY?!?!?

Andi: Cyrus is excited.

Buffy: I can tell.

Buffy: Look, it's just as friends. We're working on our photography project.

Cyrus: Wait, so are you at his house or is he at yours?

Buffy: Neither.

Andi: What do you mean? Where are you?

Buffy: We're in Grisholm.

Cyrus: SWDEFDWSEREFSDXS

Andi: So you're on a romantic road trip with him? Do you think he still likes you?

Buffy: I have no idea.

Buffy: Look, I have to go.

Cyrus: You're telling us EVERYTHING when you get back.

Buffy: Yeah, okay. Bye.

I slide my phone back into my purse and return to my lunch with Marty.

"I'm paying," I state.

"Okay," he responds.

"You're not going to offer to pay instead?"

He grins and lets out a chuckle. "I know better than to argue with you."

I smile at that and pick up my slice of pizza to take another bite, his eyes still on me.

_____________________________________

I get settled in the passenger seat again and wait for Marty to buckle up.

"I need to get gas before we go," he says.

The engine roars to life and the Jeep rolls out of the parking spot and onto the road.

"What did you get from the craft fair?" he asks me.

"Oh, yeah," I respond. "I got a bracelet. I'll show you."

I dig through my purse to pull out the small paper bag and open it. I unfold the tissue paper that protects the bracelet and see the dainty palm trees sparkle in the sun. Then I notice something else gleaming inside the paper bag and reach in to pull out the two silver promise rings from the vendor's table. I turn them to see the infinity symbol reflect yellow sunlight. She must've put these in here when I wasn't looking.

"What is it?" he asks.

Instantly, I tuck the rings back into the paper bag, not wanting Marty to notice them, and hold up the bracelet for him to see. After stopping at a stop sign, he quickly glances over at the item and smiles.

"That's nice," he says.

"Thanks. It reminds me of my grandparents."

"Your grandparents like palm trees?"

"They lived in California." I rub the smooth gemstone of one tree with my thumb. "I used to go there as a kid and they had these curtains with palms trees printed all over them. It was how I recognized the house through the window."

He glances over to smile at me before looking back to the road.

"I like it when you smile," he says.

That makes my smile even wider, giving me butterflies in my stomach. I like how he makes me smile.

Marty's POV

We turn into a gas station and pull up to the pump right in front of the building. I yank the key out of the ignition and open the door.

I'll just be a minute," I tell Buffy before getting out of the car.

I untwist the cap on my gas tank and begin filling it up when Buffy strolls around to my side of the Jeep and leans her arm against its side. She watches me with a smile on her face as I squeeze the handle of the pump and wait for it to be filled.

"It's weird seeing you driving," she says.

"Weird?"

"Yeah, like, the last time I saw you you didn't even have your learner's permit. And your voice is different."

I smile. "You're not exactly the same either."

"How so?"

"Well, for one thing, you actually came close to beating me in that race."

She shoves my shoulder in response to my joke, and I laugh.

"But you're still just as competitive," I add. "It's still part of who you are."

"And . . . you still get that."

She holds her gaze with mine until I feel the pressure on the handle release. I return the pump to its holder and close the cap on my gas tank.

"I've got to pay," I explain as I start walking into the convenience store.

"Right," she says.

She follows behind me, going over to look around at the knick-knacks for sale while I go up to the counter. After I finish paying, I turn around to see her smiling wide with an ornament dangling from her fingers. It has three strings hanging down, one holding a small metal hummingbird, and the other two tied to tiny clear crystals at their ends.

"If I got this for you, would you put it in your car?" she asks.

"Why?"

She grins wider and tilts her head. "So that you won't be able to drive anywhere without thinking of me."

"Yeah, and I'll remember how much you drive me crazy."

She rolls her eyes but joins in with my laughter.

"Will you put it up or not?" she says.

I smile at her. "Yeah, I think I will."

She looks satisfied with my answer and steps up to the counter to pay, while I watch the way her hair sways as she moves. I can't believe I've been living without this—without her.