Chapter 3

Fake Smiles Can't Mend Broken Hearts

---- April 22, 2014 ----

“Hello is this Lance- Lance Holt.” said the voice from the other side of the phone.

“Yes, who is this?” I asked.

“This is Dr. Chiron Karamat.  I was calling to tell you that your girlfriend, Haukea, has cancer.” The doctor said.

Those words made me freeze as though time has stopped completely.

“Um...I’ll be there right away.” I replied as I was getting on my shoes and grabbing my keys off the counter.

“Okay she is at Devarsh Hospital.” With that I quickly said goodbye and headed out the door, running down the stairs (almost tripping) and into my car.

---- At The Hospital ----

I rushed into the hospital, and ran to the front desk asking where Haukea Greenfield was and what room was she in.  Thankfully the lady at the front desk agreed and gave me the room number and the floor. I ran to the elevator but there was a lot of people there, so I ran to and up the stairs. I stopped at the 3rd floor and ran down the hallway looking for room number 306.  I stopped just outside the door to room 306, I had to catch my breath from running. The door opened and revealed a doctor with black hair and silver eyes staring down at me.

“Are you Lance Holt?” The doctor questioned me.

“Yes, Are you Dr. Chiron Karamat?” I questioned him back.

“Yes.  Haukea is in, and awake right now.” Dr. Karamat answered.

“Okay, Thank you.” I told him as he passed me.

“Your welcome.” He replied back.

I walked into the room and saw Haukea with tubes attached to her and she had her eyes glued on me.

“Hey Haukea.” I said in a soft tone.

“Hey, sorry for calling you on a weekend.” Haukea replied in a scratchy voice.

“No, no it’s fine.” I replied.

---- April Through August ----

I started visiting Haukea everyday after school and on weekends I stayed a little bit longer.  We would talk about school, made up places in our minds. The first few weeks Haukea would talk and smile brighter than the sun ever could.  Then in a couple of months Haukea stopped smiling, stopped talking, sleeping more.  I prayed by Haukea’s bed hoping that she would get better, but she didn’t.  I was there when the monitor stopped beeping, I couldn’t really see what was going on because my eyes were blurry from the tears that fell down my face.  That moment was just a bunch of fast motions doctors and nurses coming in doing something to get her heart rate back up. They announced her dead the next day August 22, 2014.  The sun was out shining bright as the funeral started, we were all wearing black. I guessed the sun was out because Haukea was going to heaven and wanted us to be happy and not to mourn over her death.