One

"Get out of my way.... Loser."

Jeremy stormed out the door, shutting it behind him. Michael slowly sank down against the door.
Someone banging on the door made him jump. From the other side, a girl yelled to him.

"Hello? Some of us have to pee!"
He rolled his eyes. The last thing he wanted to do was leave.

"I'm having my period!" He shouted weakly, lifting his head up to shout to the girl.
He barely even processed her reply.
------------- Michael in the Bathroom because I'm not doing that ------------------

Michael started to choke suddenly. He stumbled and fell to the ground, dropping and falling onto his glasses, and began coughing and gasping for air. Every time he coughed, it felt like his throat was being stabbed and scratched by thorns. He started to fear for his life. What if he choked to death here, in this bathroom, after his fight with Jeremy?
Then, just as suddenly it started, the choking stopped and his throat was left with a dull pain. He put his glasses on, though one lens was now cracked, and looked around.
Holy fuck.
There were small splatters and puddles of blood everywhere within a 10-foot range of him, and sitting on the floor with the blood was about 5 or 6 small golden flowers and a ton of petals that seemed like they belonged to said flowers.
Shit.

Michael looked up and realized he had been off in his own world.

"So Michael, what're you thinking about?" Christine asked. Michael hesitated.
"What? I wasn't really paying attention."
"Oh. That's okay! I kind of noticed, I was just curious what you were thinking about."

Michael didn't want to say he was thinking about the Halloween party incident. It would make Jeremy feel bad. Besides, it was more than just the Halloween party.
It was the play and at school when Christine and Jeremy started going out (though they quickly decided it was best if they stayed friends), and random times in between.
Way too many times.

"Okay, are any of you good at identifying flowers?" Michael asked.

"No, but I can use Google." Jenna pulled out her phone. Michael pulled a small golden flower from his pocket, the only one he'd been able to clean all the blood off of without destroying it.

"This." He held the small flower out for everyone to see.
"Small yellow flowers..." Jenna mumbled as she typed. "I think that's a gorse flower. Why?"
Michael froze, hardly breathing. His mind raced to come up with an excuse. "I was just curious."
"Okay..." Jenna said, giving him a suspicious look.
"I don't know why, I jus-" Michael was interrupted by a sudden coughing fit. He covered his mouth, trying to keep anyone from seeing the blood or petals and thorns. He crushed the petals in his hand and let the thorns fall to the floor.

"Jesus, Michael. Don't die-" Jeremy stopped, seeing the blood on Michael's face. "Michael, are you okay?"
Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Shit.
"I bit my lip. It got blood on my face. And my hand." Michael lied, hoping it was convincing enough to keep anyone from asking questions.
Jeremy muttered a reply, satisfied.

The all-too-familiar choking feeling in his throat returned. He could barely breathe.
"I'll be right back." He managed, trying to hold in his coughs. Before anyone could respond, he ran off. He barely made it halfway down the hallway before his legs gave out and he collapsed.

His throat and chest stung and ached so badly he wanted to scream. Small golden flowers, long thorns and blood came out of his mouth every time he coughed, and his mouth was bleeding. Very badly.

Terror and pain overcame him and he almost started to cry.
What the FUCK is happening to me?
Maybe I could ask Jeremy or Rich for help, they might know.
As if prompted by the name, Michael started coughing up gorse flowers and an unsettling amount of blood the second he thought of Jeremy.

Shit. This isn't...
No matter how much he tried, he couldn't stop. It was just like at the party, but worse. This time he might actually die.

He didn't hear them calling out to him or running towards him, but suddenly Rich and Jake were there.

"Michael, are you okay? Why didn't you respond? We were calling out to you! What's wrong? Are you sick?" Rich jumped from one topic to another. His quick, frantic questions combined with his lisp made Michael giggle slightly, then start coughing. Jake and Rich both froze in terror, seeing Michael coughing up thorns and small flowers, which fell onto the floor in a small puddle of blood.

"It- I-" Michael stuttered, unable to come up with an excuse. His shallow breathing started to become faster. He started choking again, thorns, tiny blossoms, and tears falling from his face into the growing puddle. "Please don't tell Jeremy..."

"We won't." Rich said before Jake started talking. Jake gave him a look that was a mix of confusion, frustration and terror.

"Why not? Michael could be dying!"
Rich sighed. He looked to Michael and mouthed the word "hanahaki", and Michael nodded. "Michael has Hanahaki disease. He doesn't want Jeremy to know because it's Jeremy he's in love with."

And here I was, thinking I was good at keeping that a secret.

"Hanahaki disease? That could kill him, Rich!" Jake snapped. Rich didn't make eye contact. All he did was sadly mumble, "I know."
Jake's expression softened, and though he very clearly wanted to, he didn't say anything to Rich, instead turning to Michael.

"Fine. We won't tell." He said. "We should go back before everyone gets worried."
Rich coughed a few times, covering his mouth. He curled his hand into a fist, put it down, and told Jake they'd be there in a minute.

"Alright." Jake said without question. "I'll go let everyone know Michael's okay." And with that, he left, giving Rich a smile before leaving. This sent Rich into another coughing fit, covering his mouth with his other hand. Blood leaked out from between his fingers, and he opened his hands when he finally stopped coughing. Michael gasped slightly.

In Rich's hands were blood, petals, and, in his right hand, a single pale red iris.