02

mackenzie was right.

it did not end well.

they didn't get any work done, throwing insults at each other for the rest of the hour long period.

luckily, the bell finally rang, dismissing them to head to lunch.

mackenzie met up with her favorite people in the world, annie leblanc and brynn rumfallo, at her locker to go to lunch.

"you'll never believe who i got paired up with for the history project."

"johnny orlando?" annie asked, already knowing who it was by the tone of mackenzie's voice.

"h- how did you know?" mackenzie questioned, eyes wide.

"kenz, you always use the same tone when you talk about johnny. and we all know there's only one person you hate that much." brynn said with a teasing smile.

mackenzie laughed and started to head down the hallway to lunch with brynn and annie by her side.

"speaking of, there's lauren." annie said, glancing forward at lauren with a random girl they didn't know.

lauren was johnny's sister, lauren orlando.

mackenzie never bothered to talk to her, she remembered being too scared to go up to her in fourth grade thinking that she would be as rude as johnny.

they still have never talked, despite going to the same school since fourth grade, but they never had any classes together.

mackenzie glanced at her and shrugged.

they finally made it to the cafeteria, got their food, and sat down.

they talked about anything and everything, like they do every day.

mackenzie met annie in eighth grade and they instantly clicked. annie was sweet and genuine. mackenzie felt like she could be herself and never be judged around annie.

they met brynn in freshman year, when mackenzie accidentally bumped into her in the hallway on the first day of school. instead of being annoyed, brynn brought light into the situation, making a joke out of it and introducing herself, saying she was new to the school.

of course they all had other random friends, but nothing seemed to break the trio apart. they were like sisters that never went anywhere without each other.

they were all grateful to have one another.

"do you guys wanna come over saturday to get ready for the masked ball?" annie asked.

"oh my god i completely forgot about that! i got my dress like forever ago when they announced it." brynn replied.

the masked ball was a huge school dance they put on every year. it was the school's version of homecoming. it was mainly for juniors and seniors, but sometimes the freshman and sophomores could sneak in if they were lucky.

mackenzie remembered when the trio successfully did it last year, but not having the most fun since they had no idea what they were doing.

during the masked ball, everyone had to wear a mask to hide their identity (hence the name) and wear homecoming attire. 

kenzie thought it was a great idea because you could be more confident since no one would know who you were. 

like brynn, mackenzie had recently forgotten about it as well. with so much schoolwork, dance, and maintaining friendships, it was easy to forget about little things like school dances.

although, mackenzie knew that nobody at the school thought the masked ball was a 'little school dance.'

to everyone else, people knew the masked ball was the biggest event of the year. it's something every student gets excited for and goes to. mackenzie was excited, but she didn't think it was a big deal.