07

before we get started:

sorry this is in the beginning, but i just wanted to say THANK YOU SO, SO, SO MUCH for the people that are voting, it means so much!! <3 i love you all so much (:

/// 

mackenzie was having the time of her life at the masked ball. just like she hoped.

not.

sure, it was cool at first. the place was beautifully decorated with lights flashing and gold / white / black balloons everywhere. it was a huge place with the obvious dance floor in the middle with a random DJ on the stage. the food bar was across the dance floor, mackenzie's favorite place.

when the trio walked in together, they immediately got water and awkwardly stayed off to the side for a little, until mackenzie had enough and dragged them to the dance floor. 

soon, they all were having the time of their lives, dancing and singing at the top of their lungs with other students around them. the place was crowded, but everyone was having a super good time.

mackenzie still couldn't really recognize anybody, but no one else really could anyways.

but later, mackenzie really, really had to pee, so she quickly told annie and brynn and left to go to the restroom super fast. big mistake. 

when she came out, it seemed like the place had gotten even more crowded and she had no idea where her friends were. 

there were people everywhere, and she instantly regretted not asking annie or brynn to go to the bathroom with her. she quickly ran a hand through her curled hair, wondering what she should do.

she started to feel overwhelmed for the millionth time that night.

she checked her phone and read the time, 7:07 pm, and tried calling brynn.

no answer.

she tried annie next.

and of course, no answer.

she texted the group chat, sending an SOS, and waited.

no. answer.

usually, they text back pretty fast so mackenzie started to get worried. how was she going to find them? she couldn't handle being alone at a dance, especially the masked ball, where she couldn't see who anyone was.

she tried making her way through the crowd of people, unsuccessfully.

she sighed and made her way to the food bar instead, maybe finding brynn and annie there. it's not like they could be that far anyways, mackenzie told herself.  

except when she glanced up, she realized how big the place actually was. there was no way she could find them by herself, unless they texted back. 

and judging by the empty notifications on her phone, she didn't think they were anytime soon.

all of a sudden, when she was trying to walk through the many bodies of people, also trying to form a plan in her head, she instead ran smack into a person, knocking the drink in their hand down to the floor.

"oh my god i'm so sorry!" mackenzie said, feeling embarrassed.

she glanced up at the person she ran into and felt even more humiliated.

he was cute.

really, really cute.

although he had a mask on, his dirty blond hair looked perfectly messy and his tall body frame looked amazing in his classic black and white tux.