Chapter 4: Surfers and Boy Bands

It had been a week since Violet shared that her dad wasn't her biological father. She had been over to our house every day this week, sharing stories of her New Mexico adventures. I was so happy to have her back. She had made plans to come over to our house this morning, but she texted the group chat that she was behind on her house work, so she wanted to complete that before going to the seniors beginning of the year party later this evening.

Wendy quickly made plans with Jackson after that text, which meant I was left with nothing due to it being a Saturday. As much as I didn't want to overwhelm her, my body was itching to be near her. I had a strong desire to want to be around her all of the time.

I distracted myself with reading, TV, and working out, but by lunch, I decided I was going to head over to her place to see if she needed help, or at the very least, wanted company.

I was almost out the door when Jackson called out my name. I spun around and his quick strides met me at the front door. Jackson looked over his shoulder, opened the front door, and pushed me on the porch before I had time to protest.

Just when I thought he was going to tell me another famous farm story, he gave me a cheeky grin. "Going somewhere?" He asked.

I rolled my eyes and said, "Ya, I was going to see -"

"- how Violet was, and if she needed any help with the copier." He laughed at his dumb joke, and I had the urge to punch him in the shoulder. He face became serious, and he looked toward the front door before speaking. "Look, Nate. I know you like her." I opened my mouth to object when he held a hand out for me to stop. "Don't bother denying it. I've known since the first day I met her. We were all hanging out in the basement, and you were watching her every move."

He stops to look at me with a nostalgic smile. I motion with my hand for him to continue since he's right; there is no reason for me to deny it.

"Anyway, I know how much she means to you, but I also want you to be safe. I think Violet is a great person, but she does have a reputation, and I just don't want you to get hurt. I don't think she would ever hurt you, but if something does happen between you two, I don't want Wendy put in a position where she feels like she has to pick between her brother and best friend." He said, nodding to himself. I want to tell him he's wrong, but he is right. Violet does have a reputation, and although she was never labeled negatively for her... sexual experiences... she still has a past, one I am not sure I can meet. Jackson really is just looking out for me and Wendy.

"Jackson, I appreciate you coming to me with this, and I would never want to ruin the dynamic with anyone in this group. I am just looking to be her friend again right now. I missed out on a lot with her. I just want my friend back." It's true; I would take anything Violet was willing to give me.

Jackson nodded his head and slapped his hand down on my shoulder. "Good luck getting out of the friend zone, buddy. Peace be with you."

Before I can even respond, Jackson has walked back into the house, and I am left dumbfounded on the porch. I shake my head and smirk at his comment as I head toward my 2017 Jeep Wrangler. Its black and sleek, and Violet even dubbed it as the sexiest car alive when she was over at our house the other day. She just needs a friend, so it's okay to be in the friend-zone. As long as she is safe and comfortable, I will be happy, I think as Miike Snow blares through my speakers.

---

I turn into her trailer park, Stone Manor, and make it less than ten feet before I realize I have no clue where I am going. I turn my head all around to see if there is anything that jogs my memory, but I come up short. Two teens start to walk past my car, so I roll down my window and wave them over."