Dont Look Through the Keyhole

Car rides suck, especially when you have a baby brother crying for 5 hours straight. We were on the way to my grandparents house because I was spending the weekend with them. "When are we gonna get there?" I asked my mom annoyed. My dad left my mom when I was a newborn. My mom had a big conference that lasted the whole weekend, but it was down in Houston, we lived in Texas. "We're in her neighborhood sweetie, now I want you to behave yourself and don't pick on your brother Jack," she said finally turning into our grandparents driveway where they were standing outside together waving at us pulling in. I open my door to get my bags when all the sudden I hear "Oh hello! You've gotten so much taller since I've seen you dear!" It was grandma. I grabbed my bags turning around, I smiled and said "Ya I grow quickly, where do you want me to put my stuff?" "I see. As soon as you walk inside you will go past the kitchen and to your left is a hallway, the 3rd door on then right is your room and the room next to it is jacks, and on the other wall is the bathroom, and then next to that is Sophie's room, don't go in there, she likes to be alone," grandma said now walking over to help mom gets Jacks bags. As grandma and grandpa were talking to mom and Jack outside, I put my stuff in the room and looked around. Their whole house was an old looking shabby sheik Barbie house, but without the pink. I came across Sophie's room, last year at Sophie's birthday party, me and here exchanged phone numbers and had sleepovers, over the past phew months we've just stopped texting. Sophie is an exchange student from England, my grandma loves taking care of her, just like she loves taking care of people regular. Knock, knock, "Sophie? You in there?" I asked. No answer, she was probably asleep. I walk away and go outside. Grandma was holding Jack, and grandpa was waving for me to come where they were standing. I walked over and my mom came up and gave me a hug, "Bye sweetie. I love you and I will be back on Wednesday," she said smiling then getting back in the car. Jack was only 2 years old, he started crying when he knew mom was leaving him. She backed out of the driveway waving goodbye while honking the horn. Now, she was officially gone. "Well, let's go get ready for din din!" Grandma said to Jack while smiling. Grandpa patted my back and asked, "You like soup?" I chuckled and nodded. I got inside and sat down at the table with grandpa and waited for grandma to finish getting "din din" on the table and Jack in his high chair. "There ya go mister," grandma said with Jack finally buckled in his chair. He just laughed waved his hands. Grandma put our plates on the table and told us we could eat. She fed Jack while also managing to feed herself. Jack spilt basically everything, but grandma didn't care, she was too stunned by his cuteness. Once everyone was finished we had to get ready for bed. I walked in my room looking at Sophie's door, why hasn't she come out yet? I went into Jacks room to say goodnight but he was already asleep, how does grandma get the little ball of energy asleep so fast? I just closed his door, and went into my room where grandpa was sitting on my bed. "Hey sweetie just wanted to say goodnight and I love you," he said while I was getting in bed. I smiled, "thanks good night grandpa see ya tomorrow." He smiled, turned the lights off, shut my door, and walked out. I fell asleep and them woke up around 3am having to use the restroom. I get out of bed walk to the bathroom and do my stuff. I walked out and looked at Sophie's door again. I looked under the door and saw a rocking chair going back and forth. I looked through the keyhole and just see something that was blank red. They probably just painted in the hole. I go back to bed and fall asleep thinking of what I saw. The next morning grandpa made grits, pancakes, and bacon. I get my breakfast and sit down. Grandma was washing dishes and humming a tune that mom used to sing to me when I was little. "Oh by the way, nice job painting inside Sophie's keyhole, I tried doing that to mine so no one can look through, and man those things are hard to paint, you should come over and do my mine," I said looking at grandma who had dropped her dish in the sink turning around looking at grandpa. Grandma and grandpas eyes opened wide, and exchanged looks, then looked at me."Honey, Sophie has a severe corneal ulcer in her eye right now, and that's not red paint," grandma said looking at me. I soon realized Sophie was looking at me through the keyhole.