A simple task

A/N: alright everyone, this is my first fe fanfic and I could only get the story from LPs and the FEWiki, sorry if it might seem OOC. High-key rushed too. Criticism is welcome.

Xander steeled himself. This was it. The day he was both dreading and waiting for.

He gazed at his reflection.

Decked out in his best hunting gear, he prepares himself to meet his father, and start his rite of passage.

After he was sure everything was in order, he walked out of his room, only to find his siblings, Camilla and Leo, waiting for him.

"Brother, everything will be alright." Camilla assured him. She was always like that. Even though she was younger than him. She dotes heavily on her siblings, making sure Leo eats more than just tomatoes, looking after Elise, and pestering Corrin to put on some shoes.

"Yes Brother, Father will surely know you are capable enough." Leo said. Despite his young age, Leo was always intelligent. He spoke in a very poised and bookish manner. Being an apprentice in magic, he should be. It worries Xander though. He always thought Leo had a lot more burns and bruises than what a regular mage-in-training should have. Iago is a little too rough with Leo, in his opinion.

Witnessing his siblings' concern, he cracked a faint smile. "Where's Elise?" The other concubines are getting more and more desperate. It's not uncommon to see one of his half-siblings standing outside or near another sibling's room, sometimes with dagger in hand, concealed or unconcealed. Xander had to put an end to some of them. If  her room was unguarded, and a particularly pragmatic one entered-

He wouldn't be able to forgive himself

"She's taking a nap, we'll watch over her," Camilla said, "for now, go to the throne room. You know father doesn't like waiting."

Leo gave a nod, and Xander made his way to the throne room.

***

The large wooden doors opened, and Xander felt himself getting as cold under the Nohrian castle's oppressive walls.

King Garon had always been a menacing man. He sat on his large throne. Radiating an intense aura, he looked through Xander.

"Son."

Xander looked at his father and kneeled. "Yes, Father?"

"Today is the day, where you will prove yourself, your worth, as the Crown Prince of Nohr."

Xander nodded. Ignoring the sweat sticking his shirt on his back, he said. "I understand, Father."

"As you should know, a true prince and heir to the throne of Nohr, must be a capable hunter. Strong, skilled, and wise, the fundamental elements making of a great ruler." Garon spoke slowly and firmly, making each words land strikingly to Xander's head.

Xander kept his face composed, "I know, Father."

"You shall be required to hunt and kill a great beast. Not a simple, ordinary, little manakete, but a beast dedicated to chaos, destruction, possessing powers able to tear mountains to pieces, turning a forest into ash. A beast able to end a hundred men in one blow. Present a part of it as proof to the Nohrian court." His father continued. "Remember. You. Will. Not. Fail. Me."

Garon's voice could pierce through the best armors of blacksmiths anywhere. Feeling a shiver down his spine, "I will complete this task, Father, I promise. I will present the head of the foul beast, in fact. I am strong and capable." Xander asserted.

"I expect nothing less." The king said, stroking his beard "Now, out with you. The court shall wait for a week 'til you've slain the beast."

Taken aback, Xander stammered out, "A-a week?"

"Yes, It's best you start now." Garon said, as Xander bowed again and trudged back.