XIV: You Watched Me Fall

Copyright © M.T.Wilson 2012 - All rights reserved.

Last chapter. :'( Can't believe this is almost over. Only the Epilogue left after this!

XIV: You Watched Me Fall

    I awoke surrounded by warmth; my head was rested on something hard that rose and fell slowly. My eyes fluttered open to see a beam of sunlight breaking through the window of the cabin, casting a square of light on the wood floor.

    Blinking away sleep I rose to a sitting position, stretching my tired limbs. I looked down to see Cohen lying next to me, watching me rub the soreness out of my neck.

    “Hey,” he said.

    “Hey.”

    I bent down and kissed him lightly on the forehead before climbing over him and walking into the bathroom, pushing the door shut behind me. The water I splashed on my face was cool and refreshing and after drying my skin I pulled on some clothes: the ones that Cohen had first brought me after I fell.

    When I returned to the main part of the cabin I found it empty and went out through the open door to where Cohen was stoking up a fire by the lake. The sun had not been risen long and there was still a hint of the night’s chill in the air. I sat down beside him, curling my legs up to my chest. We sat in silence for a while before he finally spoke.

    “What happens now?” he asked.

    “How do you mean?”

    “Well,” he began, “after the wedding, you know, what if that wasn’t a one off? Why was that demon even there?”

    “I don’t know,” I admitted. “But I want to find out.”

    “And how are you going to do that?” he asked.

    “I’ll find a way. There’s got to be other fallen angels out there willing to help,” I replied, staring out at the lake.

    “What if there aren’t?”

    “Then I’ll find a way on my own.”

    “Not on your own,” Cohen said, turning to look at me.

    “Alright, together,” I agreed.

    Cohen leant forwards and planted a quick kiss on my lips before pulling back. “I love you.”

    “I love you to,” I grinned at him and felt myself beginning to laugh, pressing a hand to my mouth to try and stop the giggles.

    “What?” Cohen asked, smiling.

    “It’s just,” I managed to stop laughing long enough to speak. “I can’t believe this is real. I thought… I thought when I fell that I could never be happy again, I wanted to die. You gave me hope.”

    Cohen smiled softly. “I’m glad that I could help. I want you to know, I’ll always be here, as long as I live I shan’t leave your side.”

    I rested my head on his shoulder, closing my eyes. There was the sound of feet crunching on shingles and we turned to see Maya heading towards us, a smile on her face.

    “How you doing tough guy?” she asked as we stood to meet her, punching Cohen on the arm playfully.

    “Fine, thanks,” Cohen replied. “You?”

    “I’m great, why wouldn’t I be?”

    “Ollie-”

    “Is a loser who deserves to die slowly and painfully,” Maya said. “I’ve had enough of him. He won’t be seeing me again anytime soon.”