Chapter 1

Ophelia had made it her personal mission to always rise with the sun. When the city was awash with sunlight, it was almost likeable. Only almost. It might have even been enjoyable if her balcony didn't overlook the same route Crown warriors made regular patrols on. She despised Crown warriors. The way they walked like their heads would fall off if their necks didn't stay perfectly stiff at all times. The way they carried their swords like it was the only thing keeping them tethered to the ground. Everything about them just irritated her to no end. 

  She was brought out of her thoughts by the sound of arguing. She looked down onto the street and saw a woman was arguing with a Crown warrior. The warrior was holding the woman's child. Ophelia recognized the woman from one of the shops. She was a hardworking single mother that did everything she could for her baby as well as a kindhearted woman, always going the extra mile for her neighbors. Ophelia thought for a minute, trying to remember name. Finally, it appeared to her. Mariana. 

  "You can't take my son!" Mariana cried desperately. 

  "Orders from the King.", the warrior said apathetically.

  Ophelia didn't want to hear anymore of this nonsense. She pulled her cloak on and sprinted down her stairs, opening the door.

  Mariana saw Ophelia come outside, "Ophelia, please, my baby".

  "Do not worry, Mariana. The idea of child-snatching does not strike me as a tolerable one. Especially from a mother who works every minute of her days to keep her child safe.", Ophelia said calmly before turning to glare at the Crown warrior holding Mariana's child, "What you be so kind as to explain to me why Rodan is intent on kidnapping?"

The warrior returned Ophelia's glare. He looked down on her, yet there was something about the woman that unsettled him. 

  "I'll remind you to speak respectfully about our King. And it is of no importance to you what our Highness wishes to do or not do.", The Crown warrior said harshly. 

  Ophelia laughed scornfully, "Our King? No, no, no. Rodan is your king. In my case, he holds no authority over me so I will continue to speak as I wish. You, on the other hand, have a duty to hand this woman her son and keep going on the patrols you insist on completing."

 "I don't answer to you. And hold your tongue, girl, before I am forced to act against you for breaking rules about how to address our King and Crown warriors.", The warrior said. The baby was starting to cry, understandably uncomfortable and scared in this strange man's arms. 

 "Likewise, I don't answer to you.", Ophelia stepped towards him, "You must be a new warrior if you're unaware of where you are.".

  "I am fully aware of what my orders are. I'll thank you to not interfere, girl.", The warrior continued to address her as girl, even though she looked to be in her early twenties. He liked the way it made him feel in a position of power. 

  "You are in Hernett Square, Nyad territory. Which means anything your King wants doesn't matter here. Here, Rodan's orders are just like the cry of a toddler who doesn't get his way. Ignored. Hand this woman her child, before I am forced to act against you.", Ophelia used his words against him, knowing it would irritate him greatly. 

The warrior prepared himself to retort before her words dawned on him. She was right, he had no power in Nyad territory. He began to notice his surroundings more, people were starting to crowd them, he could only guess they were Nyads as well. Any move he made against this irritating woman would get him in grave danger. He had no other choice but to hand grateful Mariana her son and surrender, taking a hasty leave.

"Thank you, Ophelia. I don't know what I would have done if it weren't for you.", Mariana grinned at her.

"It's my pleasure, Mariana.", Ophelia smiled kindly back.

The question is what is it Rodan thinks he's doing, Ophelia thought to herself.