Entry 1

Before this all happened, it was beautiful.
I was sitting with my mom, at the park. I was around 10 at the time, and I had no thought in my mind that something bad could happen.

Kids playing on swings, mothers watching cheerfully. The sky a beautiful pinkish purple. Everything was beautiful.

Then I heard my moms phone go off. I assumed it was a text from my older sister so I shook it off.
But then everyone else in the park looked at their phones and some quickly grabbed their kids and ran to their cars, I heard some people screaming.
Mom picked me up and ran for the car, she had this look on her face when we got in the car. She started driving dangerously fast while calling my sister, Syd consistently. I had this bad feeling in my stomach as I saw the sky turn into a deep red.

Within 15 minuets we arrived at some place I've never seen before and mom started hugging me and kissing me.. she told me everything will be okay and handed me her wedding ring as someone I didn't recognize grabbed my arm and dragged me into a basement that was hidden behind a dumpster.

That was the last time I saw my mom.

As far as I can recall I'm now 17 or 16. Time is not exactly something that we keep track of now. I was laying on the crappy old beds we had in our hide out drawing pictures of a man. Not knowing who he was but feeling the need to draw something.
I dropped my notebook and pencil when I heard the huge metal doors bang shut. I quickly got up off my bed and ran out to the main area to see our "leader", Ben.

He was holding two giant duffel bags which we assumed was full of food and other goods we were lacking as of lately. We all sat down at the big table with 10 mix matched chairs, despite having only 5 people. I sat next to Lena who greeted me with a warm smile.

Let me introduce everyone before we go on.
We have Lena, she has blonde hair and blue eyes. She's sweet but also badass. She took me under her wing when I was young so I call her my sister.
We have Tyler. He's quiet but he looks out for everyone and he does inventory in our hide out. Then there's Hannah. She's kinda distant.
Then Josh and Ben. They built this shelter so they're in charge of everything.

Ben then handed out papers that showed our tasks for the week. I sighed knowing mine was just going to be looking after the shelter. Everyone then walked back to our sleeping areas to lay down.

When me and Lena were laying in our room she looked at her paper and sighed, "another day stuck in the hideout huh." She looked at me with a smirk.
"I haven't even looked at mine yet."
She eyed me from her bed and encouraged me to look at it.
With that one look I decided to open it only to be surprised.
"Scavenging?!"