Chapter 5

It all happened so fast and before I knew it I was already walking back home, wondering where Sarah would have gone. The only thing I'm worried about is that I have to find her before Lucas does.

Hurdle's P.O.V

I searched for hours, I even checked the diner, but it was no use. I didn't want to, but I gave up around the fourth hour of searching the whole town. People probably thought I was a psycho walking the streets at two in the morning, covered in blood. I walked back to my apartment, looking behind me every now and then. I am scared and I'll admit that, but it's not me that I'm scared about. I'm scared about the hopeless, frightened, hurt, lost, lonely, abandoned girl that I grew so fond of. I walked inside my home and held onto the wall as I kicked off my shoes. Before I could turn around, a pair of shaking, bruised arms wrapped tightly around my neck. I knew exactly who it was and my fear dissolved instantly. I tightened my grip around her shaking body as she cried into the crook of my neck. "You're okay now." I assured her as I stroked her back softly. "Why did you do it?" her warm trembling breath hit my neck. "Do what? Save you?" I asked, her response nothing more than a slight nod as she remained resting her head on my dirty shoulder. "I knew what was going on, I was tired of seeing you hurt, I care about you." "No one cares about me." she mumbled as she clenched my shirt tighter in her cold, shivering hands. I pulled away from her, her arms still resting upon each of my shoulders as she studied my face. I placed my hands on her cheeks and whispered "But I do." She hauled me into another hug and hugged me the tightest I've ever witnessed in all of my eighteen years of life. I liked the feeling. I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the feeling of being held. I enjoyed feeling like I had a meaning. I enjoyed feeling worth something. Especially not so worthless. "Thank you." she continued to cry. I rubbed her back, trying to calm her down. "Just breathe, you're free." I mumbled into her hair. After a couple more minutes she let go of me and wiped her cheeks dry. "I'll give you a t-shirt and a pair of boxers because that's all I have right now, but go take a shower and get yourself cleaned up." I told her. She nodded nervously as I handed her the clean clothing. She headed to the bathroom and came out about 20 minutes later with a handful of her stained, ruined clothes she was wearing previously. She noticed the trash can and threw them away. I sensed the sadness in her expressions and I placed my hand on her cheek and said "You're okay now, it's over. You're safe with me." I attempted to comfort her the best I could. Since I'm new to this and have no past experience, my words probably aren't helping her whatsoever, but it's at least worth trying. I hope I wasn't invading her too much or coming on too strong. She nodded her head and didn't allow the tears to fall before she told me that I can take my shower now. I rushed through my shower anxious for something I wasn't even aware of. I threw my dirty clothes into the hamper before walking out to find her sitting on the floor against the wall. "Why are you on the floor, silly?" "I...I didn't know if I was allowed to sit on the couch." she stammered. "He didn't even let you sit on the couch?" my jaw tightened. "No. It was against his rules, I was nothing more than a dog to him. My bed was a blanket on the still, nasty carpet...I didn't even get a pillow." she mumbled as she stared at the floor and fiddled with her fingers. I reached my hand out and she just stared at it before hesitantly  grabbing it. I helped her up and said "This can be your new home too, what's mine is yours now. I have one rule that you must follow though...it's to do the complete opposite of everything he never let you do, live your life, Sar." She placed her hands over her face, crying again before she fell into my arms and held my shirt tightly while she sobbed into my chest. "I don't know how to thank you." she mumbled against my now tear-stained shirt. "You don't have to. Now stop crying and smile." I urged her. "These are happy tears, trust me." she laughed while lightly sniffling. "We should go to bed." she stated. I grabbed her hand and walked her over to the bed. "Here. It's all yours." I smiled. "I'm not taking your bed from you." she protested. "What's mine is yours, remember?" I smiled. "I prefer the couch over the bed anyways." I lied to make her feel better. She hesitated before finally climbing under the big, white, fluffy comforter. "Good night, sleep tight. I'll be right over here on the couch if you need me." I assured her. "Good night." she mumbled, sounding as if she was already half asleep. I turned off the lights and headed over to the red velvet sectional. I sighed as I pulled the blanket over my body and laid back. My arms rest behind my head as I think to myself...Maybe this is finally both of our tickets to happiness.