Just Another Day In The House.

On my short walk home I stop at the craft store next door to get some book glue and some fabric that best matches the torn one already present on the books binding and cover. "Hello, Ms.Sarah!" I hear a child's voice behind me. I turn to be greeted by Mykie, a little girl I teach at the Volunteer Center for Young Minds. "Hello Mykie," I say watching her excitement. She runs up and wraps her little arms around my leg. "Will you be in my class this time?" She asks looking up at me. "No, you're going to the big kids class," I say and try to pry her death grip from my leg. "Ah okay, Well...Will you come over and have a tea party tomorrow?" She asks a bit disappointed as it is apparent in her voice. "Yes, of course, I'd love too!" I practically shout trying to make her happier then she is right then. "Okay. See you then!" She says and then goes with her mom to get a basket.

After I check out I go home. When I open the blue paint chipped door, I am greeted with the scent of lavender and eucalyptus. Taking my shoes off, I head to my bedroom to try and fix Jacob's book. The stairs creak under the weight of me, the wood acting as if it will give out any minute. I know better than to think that it will since they've stayed standing for what seems like hundreds of years. The smell of dust ingrained into the air it seems like the last fifty years have been hard on this building. Since mom and dad are out working today, its just me. Some days I wish I had a little sibling or an older one but on days like this where I just need to be alone with my thoughts; it's nice to be the only one home when mom and dad are gone. Though, some days I am not totally alone as Ms.Hillshire will stop by every now and again baring gifts of banana bread and my next load to haul to the bookstore of books she has finished. Today it seems she is out in her small garden tending to the carrots. 

When I get to my room, the fluffy chair in the corner calls my name to sit in it and finish Lolita, but I know I will feel less guilty if I fix Jacob's book before I go do my own thing. I would hate to not have it finished in time for his Aunt Lisa's birthday. Taking the supplies out of the brown bag, I set them on my desk. Collall Bookbinding glue next to the blue fabric to cover the book with, and Spot stain remover next to that. My father says I should make fixing books a career and I can't say I don't agree with his statements but it's not what I want to do. It's just a skill I picked up working in Steven's book store. Sitting down in the wooden chair, I get to work. 

Stripping the book of its "protective" cover that has somehow melted into the original cover. Taking a razor blade, I cut it off. Those things don't do anything for the books. A good owner and proper reading are what keeps books in their beloved states. I then, see all the little cracks in the old fabric on the book and cut strips of the new fabric just big enough to fit over them. When I'm done with this part the book looks like its had lovely patchwork done and that's what we want. One thing my Uncle Steven taught me when I started working with books is that people are so stupid you can hide all of the book's flaws in plain sight. The name on both the side and the front are still in good shape. The gold letters call to you from a bookshelf. The dark blue patchwork screams. He is going to love it  I think to myself. 

I started to get lost in my thoughts when the opening on the screen door downstairs snaps me out of it. Not for fear, because nothing bad ever happens in Georgetown, but because my father must be home and is probably carrying groceries. I put the book down and close the lid of the binding glue, to go help him. "Sarah can you get the backs in the trunk?" He asks as he struggles with the nine backs he's carrying not counting the one that muffled his speech as it is placed between his teeth. The man refuses to make two trips. I go outside and realize the sun is about to set. Stepping back in for a moment, I grab  my camera off of the counter next to the door. Taking a picture of the yellow and purple sky behind the greenest of mountains. I then do as my father asked and take the rest of the groceries inside. "How was your day?" I ask as we put the groceries up. "Oh okay I guess. You know Carl?" He ask. Of course I know Carl. Everyone knows Carl. "Yeah." I simply put. "He got fired," he says as he puts a can of kidney beans in the pantry. "Oh? That sucks. So hard to find jobs here. Once you have one you better not let it go." I say and we laugh. Me and my father have always had a close relationship. We are the same person just in different bodies. Or at least, that's what my mother says. Speaking of her, she just walked in and is setting the table with food I'm sure Ms Hillshire bombarded her with outside. 

"That woman is impossible to say no to." My mother comments as she sets what looks like freshly baked cornbread on the kitchen counter. "Oh honey, you know she only means the best, well with Tommy out of town you know she's just missing him dearly." My dad says as he gives my mom a kiss on the cheek. "Yeah I suppose, I just wish she'd let me cook for our family for once!" Mother says. "I like her cooking." I state, of course adding on "I like yours too though mom." just in case she was going to get offended. Between you and me, my mother's cooking is horrible. So I was very pleased when she came in with the cornbread, meatloaf, green beans, and sweet potato pie. Thank you Ms.Hillshire for saving my intestines. After dinner, I went upstairs to go to bed. Since the book was almost done, I figured I could finish it in the morning before I go to the bookstore and just keep it behind the counter for when Jacob stops by. Turning out my light I say goodnight. Oh....that rhymed.