Fire

Luke and Rose both laughed nervously, on their second date at the local diner getting milkshakes. They both were still shy about dating, though they had been friends before and loved to talk to each other. They talked about things like school and the past football game before moving on to the video game that they had been playing together at Luke's house and how it had a surprisingly deep story. 

That was when Luke's phone rang.

Peeking down at it in surprise, he smiled apologetically at Rose. "Sorry, it's my little brother. He must have forgotten his house keys or something, he never calls me." Stepping outside the diner, he answered his phone. "What's up Tyler?"

"Luke I'm scared." The tone of voice sent chills down Luke's spine, the urge to protect his brother from whatever was wrong turning his eyes from blue as the ocean depths to silver as steel. "Keep calm Ty, everything's going to be okay. Where are you? What's wrong?" 

"They tried to beat me up behind the game shop and I got scared, and, and, something's wrong with me Luke! Oh God it's spreading! I can't control it, I'm scared, I'm so scared!" The tears staining his 12-year-old brother's voice held a vice on his heart and Luke quickly tried to comfort him as he rushed back inside the diner, pulling out his wallet. "I'm coming Ty, you're going to be okay, you hear me? Ty? Tyler!" Rose looked at Luke worriedly, standing up as he threw money on the table and cursed at the dropped call. 

"Luke? What's wrong? Is Tyler okay?" The look on Luke's face was one she'd never seen before; she'd been with him when he had a panic attack after they were told that they were going to be reading their papers about their worst nightmares out loud, but this wasn't panic. This was worry and fear alright, but there was also an obvious desire to take on whatever was going on with his brother.

"I don't know, but we're going to find out. Come on, we gotta go! He's behind the video game store." Rose didn't hesitate to follow Luke, glad that she ran track as she tried to keep up with him. She didn't remember ever seeing Luke run this fast...Rose was reminded of Luke's reasoning for walking around town, even though he now had a car of his own, that he could get almost anywhere without it, so why waste the gas? 

Luke went as fast as he could without leaving Rose behind too far. He wished that he could fly right now, but he knew the rules. No flight in town, no matter what. It would only put them in more danger. 

Running into the alley five minutes later, Luke stopped at the sight of a fire blazing and his brother crying. His brother's hands were on fire...but they weren't. Luke could feel it, the fire was burning around his hands, but not burning Tyler.

Rose ran over a moment later and gasped in horror. Tyler was on fire! "I'll go call an ambulance while you put it out!" 

Luke looked over at Rose and grabbed her arm, stopping her. "Please, don't! We can't let anybody know about this. I'll put it out, but we can't call the ambulance."

Rose pulled her arm away, though a part of her knew that Luke had only allowed her to pull away. She wasn't nearly as strong as him. "Are you insane?!"

Luke smiled sadly for a moment before walking towards the frightened Tyler. "We both know the answer to that Rose." Kneeling in front of Tyler, Luke's eyes turned silver once more as he slowly moved his hands to hold Ty's. "It's okay Tyler. You aren't burning, and I'm right here. I'll help you put it out." One moment, there was nothing, and next moment there were large feathered wings protruding from his back, white wings with feathers lined in the same silver as his eyes. Then fire leapt to life from his hands, eliciting another gasp from Rose, who was frozen at the entrance to the alleyway. 

Luke's flaming hands slowly grasped Tyler's, the older boy smiling slightly at his brother. "See? It doesn't hurt, does it? Now, just take deep breaths with me. We're going to calm down, think of something cool, like water. Don't worry, we'll put our fires out together. I'm right here to keep you safe Ty. It's in my blood, remember?" Luke smiled at Tyler's little laugh at their inside joke. 

Five minutes later, Tyler was breathing evenly as the fires went out, then laughing joyously and hugging Luke. "Thanks so much Luke! That was terrifying! I wonder why that happened anyway...."

"What are you?"

Luke was happy to hug his baby brother when he heard Rose's question and slowly stood up to face her. Now Luke was scared again. Would she be scared? Hate him? Think they were crazy? He didn't know. But she needed to know. "Please Rose, I'll explain when we get back to my house. I'm still the same guy that's been your friend since 6th grade. I've been this way the whole time, I just couldn't tell you. Please, you've got to believe me."