The Narcissus Page 6

Scene 16

EXT. FALLS LAKE - DAY

Evening. RIPPLES at a spot in the water. Charles’s head emerges from the lake. He is still hurting, looking far, and trying to calm himself down.

FLASHBACK (INTERCUT) - LATE TEEN MEMORY

CLOSE UP: TEENAGE VIVIAN’s MERCILESS LAUGHTER

YOUNG CHARLES watches on dumbfounded standing in the middle of the same grove, a SYMPATHETIC TEENAGE ANNIE, 19 by his side.

END OF FLASHBACK AND BACK TO SCENE

Jack Doherty emerges from the bushes by the shed and uncannily gazes with a smug smile at Charles’ figure who is now swimming on his back towards the rocky bank.

MUSIC CUE: SINISTER NOTES PLAY.

PETER (V.O.)
It would take me years to get rid of the guilt over the wish that had developed in me then... the wait... for something to happen...  some wrinkle in the fabric of our...

INT. PETER’S OFFICE - DAY

Peter sits in his office reading the same book he previously received in mail. The open window shows it’s late in the evening. Meditatively, he removes his reading glasses and chews the temple tip.

PETER (V.O. CONT'D)
... lives, so that I could subject another man’s soul to my personal scrutiny.

Scene 17

INT. MAURICE HOUSEHOLD - DAY

Charles Maurice is working at the table in his studio. He compares a large INCOMPLETE sketch of the Dashbury Mansion to three other COMPLETE SKETCHES OF DIFFERENT VIEWS as he draws. The room is lit with lanterns and niched candles.

The outer door into the house HEARD OPENING o.s.

CHARLES
Annie! Did you find everything you were looking for?

FOOTSTEPS into the studio. It’s Jack Doherty with a fresh supply of logs that he carefully places to a side.

JACK
Hello! I’m making the rounds of this neighborhood today. Thought might as well drop in your share. I’ve hired Danny for help. He’ll collect charges later. How are you doing today?

Charles, a bit annoyed, a bit unsettled, finally forces himself into a response.

CHARLES
Thank you.

JACK
(laughs)
Thank you? What’s the matter with you, ol’ man? What happened to you?
(steps closer)
I heard about your, um, losses and I feel sorry. And I heard of your marriage, congratulations! I roasted this crane I caught on the lake the other day for the missus. Hope she’ll like it.

Jack tries to hand in the wrapped crane, but Charles, who has been icily staring back, regally points to the table with an eye-brow. Miffed, Jack puts down the wrap.

JACK
That’s the best crane you’ll
ever find in this whole region. Bet, you remember that. I set it aside for you the moment I brought it down.