Chapter 2

Lucian was still shaking in his cage with worried eyes watching at him. "Luce, you can tell us what happened," Raven soothed.

He looked up at the others showing two bruises on his eyes. "Those men did that," Duske said.

Lucian nodded. "I don't want to talk about it," he mumbled as he put his head back down.

Willow sighed and his eyes wandered up to the younger boy. 'I wonder who's next,' he asked himself.

Heath's eyes roamed around. "Listen everyone, we will get out through it even if it kills us."

Everyone looked at each other and nodded then turned back to Lucian.

One of the men came in and darted their eyes around. "Who should go next?" he smiled.

Oleander stood up. "Have you got a name, so we can call you just in case something goes wrong?"

"Of course I have a name, it's Aadeel. Is that a problem?"

Oleander gulped. "No, sir, of course not."

Aadeel grinned evilly. "You seem keen, maybe you should come out." He opened the cage door.

Oleander gulped as he walked out and followed Aadeel. "Crap, I was just asking," he murmured.

"Now, little one, we are only taking a few blood samples from you. Varen," he called over to a man in a white coat in the corner.

Oleander handed the man his arm and watched as the needle went in.

"Tough cookie, aren't you? Better than that other kid."

Oleander stared up at Varen with shock. "You mean Lucian?"

Aadeel continued what he was doing, but spoke up. "Is that his name? He wouldn't talk at all, but only scream for his mom and dad and someone called Heath."

Oleander bit onto his lip as the second needle went in.

*****

"Why isn't Oli screaming?"

"Maybe they let him go."

"Well if he did let him go, let's hope he got help."

Lucian looked up and sighed. "He can't get out. Outside there are metal fences that surround the whole perimeter and an electric gate that only opens by a key."

"How do you know?" Duske asked.

Lucian gave a shy smile. "I've been outside before. Even though we are surrounded by trees, it's very beautiful hearing the birds sing."

"So why didn't you escape?" Bud deadpanned.

Lucian sighed. "I was being watched the whole time."

"No freedom, then," Willow sighed as well.

Lucian shook his head. "No, sorry - not even when you go to the bathroom."

Oleander came back in the room and rubbed his arm. "Least we got food coming!"

"What we got?"

"Is it good?"

"It has to be good!"

Oleander grimaced at the disappointment he was causing. "It's only bread. Eleven rolls for us."

"Eleven? But there are twelve of us here," Raven yawned.

Solomon gasped. "When Luce was tested, those men said if he failed he wouldn't get food."

Piers looked at Lucian then Oleander. "So, what did they do to you?"

Oleander looked at his arm. "Took blood from my arm, but now I know two of the men's names, at least - they are Aadeel and Varen."

Leif groaned as he leaned back. "Wonder what's gonna happen to all of us, then."

Lucian looked at his feet, then at Oleander. "Could you half a roll? I'm really hungry."

Oleander frowned slightly. "Sorry, I can't for now, as I'm due to go back for more blood tests, but I'm sure I can when I come back."

Willow raised an eyebrow. "Wait, you're going back?"

Oleander nodded. "Yeah, I need to go back."

Oleander left the room, shutting the door quietly after him. "Face it, Luce; at least someone brought us food!" Bud barked.

"You've done nothing but pick on him!" Duske spoke up.

Bud glared a tough glinting eye at Duske. "He always was a stupid piece of garbage. Why did the coach allow him to be on the other team?"

"We were all under Ares at the time when Heath let him go, don't you remember?" Wolfe scolded.