Chapter One

"Mother, don't you think this is a bit much." I said as she circled me like a vulture. She remained silent, observing the gown. Finally she stopped and looked up into my eyes. "It's perfect." My mother said with a smile. I sighed in relief and two dress maids appeared to help me out of the black gown. I changed back into my simple knee length red dress and my flats. My hair naturally fell to my back and I nodded my thanks to the maids. They scurried off, leaving me with the Queen of the Underworld. "I can't believe in two days times you will be 16. It seems that it was only yesterday when I brought you into this world." My eyes widened and my cheeks turned a soft pink. "Mother." I mumbled embarrassed. She chuckled and put a hand on my shoulder.

"You've grown up beautifully my sweet Pandora. You will make a fine bride and an excellent Queen." I looked down at the black marble floors and my mother gave my shoulder a light squeeze before leaving the fitting room. As soon as the door closed I sat on the circular stand. I put my head into my hands, thinking.

In two days I turn 16. I loose everything, and for what? A good for nothing noble boy "worthy" of my heart.  I know I've never been one to break tradition but marrying someone I have no feeling for, that's not fair. I refuse to give myself to a complete and total stranger. No, no I'm going to tell Father. I have to tell Father.

I got to my feet slowly and straightened my dress. I took a shaky breath and headed to the door. The castle was filled with excitement. Preparations have already began for my birthday. A ball would be held that night so I could find my future husband. Only the richest and noblest of families were invited. Servants passed me left and right, stopping only for a moment to show the proper respect to their princess. Even the guards, who normally stood posted every few feet, were busy. "The Royal Family's safety is our top priority. Your job is to protect them at all times. Eveyerone else doesn't matter. Understood?" The captain of the squad said and the guards nodded. "Sir yes sir."

After wandering the busy halls I made it to the Throne Room where I knew my father would be. I stopped outside of the cherry wood doors and narrowed my eyes slightly. I inhaled and pushed open the doors.