He's Here

Dear Diary, 

        Do you know those guests who make you want to run for the hills? An undesirable aunt, or an entirely too physical uncle who insists on hugging the crap out of you while trying to grope your butt? These are the guests you want to hide the chocolates from, who gift you ten dollar money cards on Christmas. They insist on getting the family’s attention, but never pay any themselves. They are the people who you don’t want to open the door for. 

        So imagine the crossroads we were standing at when the doorbell rang and none of us moved. There was an awkward pause, during which I stood around and listened. Bella looked shockingly amused, as did Alice. Emmett and Jasper were standing next to each other, and I could guess by their expressions that they were playing mental rock, paper, scissors to see who would go first to open the door. Esme looked shocked at her children’s audacity, but didn’t make a move to open the door herself. Mark and Katherine . . . Well, let’s just say that Katherine looked like she would murder Mark if he even moved a muscle. 

        The bell rang again, and I could tell that Alistair knew that we knew that he was here. I couldn’t read his mind; therefore I couldn’t say what he was thinking. 

        The bell rang a third time, and this time, Bella scurried out of my embrace and flitted to the door with vampire speed, while we stood around and watched. I admit we were kind of hoping that he would leave if we didn’t open the door long enough. 

“Alistair, hello!” I heard Bella say. 

“Hello, Isabella.” He said, and I mentally corrected him to call her Bella, not that it would have any effect, “How are you?”  

“I’m good. How is everything going?” She must have smiled. Bella knew how to be the perfect host. 

“Fine.” I heard. 

“Well, come in.” The door opened wider, “We were all waiting.” 

There was no response this time, and I knew Alistair somehow doubted that what Bella said could be true. 

        They appeared in the living room in the next moment, and the situation got even more awkward. Alistair had changed drastically since the last time we’d seen him. Gone were his old fashioned coats and boots. The man before us now was a far cry from the man we had known. He was dressed casually—a black jean, jacket and shirt—and his hair was shorter, almost in a buzz cut. Somehow he looked younger, fairer, and brighter. 

        He stopped when he saw the number of people in the room, raking his eyes over everyone, and resting them a little too long over Jacob, who was standing in the background. His eyes lit up when he saw Mark, and it surprised me. That, right there, wasn’t the gleam of the fanatic that we were accustomed to. It was a genuine joy, a radiance that filled him to the brink at the sight of his old friend.

What the hell was wrong with the world? 

“Mark, my brother,” Alistair moved, and was met by Mark’s open arms and wide smile. 

“Welcome, Alistair,” He hugged him, “You look good. Change suits you." 

Alistair rolled his eyes, “I thought it was time.” 

His eyes then turned to Katherine, who had been watching the exchange with a poker face. 

“Katherine, my dear.” He smiled a tentative smile at her, and she raised an eyebrow, but didn’t say anything, “How are you?” 

Katherine huffed, “I’ve been better.” 

        Where he had been met with warmth on Mark’s side, Katherine was treating Alistair with arctic coldness. Her almost golden eyes were frozen in hatred, and she looked like she was having a hard time not ripping him to pieces. She looked like she would gladly leave if she could. I didn’t know what had transpired between them, but I did know that I never wanted to be at the receiving end of that glare. 

“Darling, pl—” Mark started to say, but Alistair interrupted him.  

“Mark, it’s all right.” He said and stepped forward to address her separately, “Katherine, I know that things between us have never been okay, and that I have hurt you more than I could fathom, but I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to you . . . for everything. I know I have said things that were less than respectful, but know this: I only wanted Mark to be happy and with the right person. He’s like my brother, and we have both been burned too many times to not check the temperature of the water.” 

        If my jaw were long enough, it would be touching the ninth circle of hell in the underworld right now. This was truly what Nessie called an OMG moment. In all my years, I had never seen Alistair truly care about a person, let alone apologize to them. This was as out of character for him as could be, and surprisingly, as hard as it was to believe, I could tell that his feelings were genuine for both Mark and Katherine. He looked truly sorry, and even Katherine’s expression faltered for a moment at his unexpectedly shocking words. 

“Nice try.” Katherine resumed her mask and sneered. 

“Katherine!” The protest, as expected, came from Mark. 

“He has to try harder.” She shrugged. 

“I will,” Alistair may or may not have breathed a sigh of relief, “But . . . may I see them: your children?” 

“Of course, Alistair, of course.” Mark intervened before Katherine could say anything. 

        She stared her husband down for the longest of times, and at last, huffed and stormed off, muttering under her breath about bros and hoes. I sometimes have a feeling that Katherine does not always process the entire gravity of the situation. 

        Alistair looked prostrate at her reaction, but seemed to resign himself to it nevertheless. He then turned, and his eyes scanned the room till they landed on the person who was trying hardest to avoid them.  

“Carlisle,” my eyes bugged out of my head when I saw that Alistair was looking not at his object of attention, but down to the ground. It was almost as if he was waiting for the former to address him.  

Carlisle’s tone could not have been more passive if he wanted it to be, “Alistair.” 

“How are you?” 

“I’m fine, thanks.” 

        There was so much tension between these two that it was almost palpable. Carlisle was usually a warm and amiable person, but the present nip in his voice was shocking. I should not have wanted to laugh, but I had to purse my lips against my will. 

Bella nudged me in the ribs when she saw my face, and I shrugged at her.   

Edward