Comet, Pt. 1

Sonya opened her eyes. 

"I'm sorry," the woman standing in front of her apologized, "I didn't mean to disturb you. I was looking for the countess."

Sonya stood up before responding. "My cousin."

Sonya looked the woman up and down. She wasn't necessarily the prettiest woman Sonya had ever seen. She was a bit plain in all honesty but there was something about her that felt familiar. Something that attracted Sonya to her.

"Yes, I have a letter from my brother, her-" she started.

"Betrothed," they said in unison.

They were silent for a moment knowing neither was in a romantic relationship. 

Mary spent the majority of her time caring for her ailing and somewhat crazy father. She didn't really have time for suitors, not that her father approved of any of them. She also wasn't obsessed with the idea of marrying a man. She would rather live a quiet life of prayer instead.

Sonya had been involved with Natasha's brother Nickolai. Oh, Nickolai. The one who had gambled all his money away to Fedya Dolokhov and was sent off to the war by his father.

"Sofia Alexandrovna." Sonya curtsied, finally remembering to introduce herself. "Please, call me Sonya."

"Princess Marya Bolkonskaya. You can call me Mary."

The two smiled at each other for a moment.

"Come, I'll show you where Natasha is," Sonya offered.

The two girls quietly walked down the hall, both of them a bit awkward and unsure of the other.