Chapter 1: Diamond In The Rough

I remember the day I saw him, He was standing across the cafeteria with his friends, laughing at something they said, It was the first time I really noticed him.

I usually try to stay away from people even though my best friend is the most popular girl in school, I’m not exactly a loner but I’m not really social either.

I look back over at the mystery guy, his deep brown disheveled hair slightly hanging over his face and  wearing a bright, crooked smile. His eyes instantly met mine between the swarm of students sending an almost electrical jolt throughout my body, his pale green eyes piercing my very soul.

I shake my head, laughing to myself. This can’t be real, This isn’t a movie and I don’t hang around his type.

Ripped jeans, leather jacket? No thank you. I’ll admit it’s attractive- as hell but that’s all. He wouldn’t even be interested in a girl like me, I’m nothing.

I stand up from my seat and slowly made my way to the exit, trying to avoid bumping into anyone but not really paying attention at the same time. His eyes have made an imprint in my memory and I can't get that picture perfect smile out of my head. It isn’t fair that someone can look that good.

“Oh!” I squeak  as I walk face first into someone’s chest.

“Well, hello there” A guy laughs, causing goosebumps to rise on my skin. I look up and see the guy that is burned into my memory.

“I’m sorry.” a small blush creeps onto my face.

He lets out a low, hypnotic chuckle. “I’m Jackson.” 

I stare up at him wide-eyed. He’s actually talking to me? “I’m Dawn.” Uncertainty fills my voice, making it come out a little shaky.

“See you around, Dawn” He winks at me before walking away, leaving me there speechless.

I shake my head banishing all the rushing thoughts before walking outside and sitting on a nearby bench. 

How could I have not noticed him before? 

Hearing a commotion behind me I turn around to see him with his friends walking out of the cafeteria, our eyes instantly meeting again, causing that familiar electricity to spark throughout my body.

He winks at me before turning back to his friends and listening in on the conversation they’re having.

How is he literally everywhere now when I’ve never seen him before?

Shaking my head I stand up and head back inside, going to my 3rd period class and waiting for the bell to ring.

_________________________

I don’t know how relationships are supposed to work, my mum and stepdad argued all the time and separated but always got back together. They rarely kiss or do anything a couple normally would do, they keep their distance a lot of times too.

They aren’t the best role models for love or even relationships but it’s all I have.

I love my mum though, I really do. I’m also not an only child, I have one older brother and a younger one and then there’s my favorite- my little sister, she’s the baby of the family and the sweetest little girl you’ll ever meet. She’s my world.

Me and my stepdad don’t get along at all, he disagrees with everything I do, no matter what I do, I do it wrong, or at least he tells me so. He is always quick to remind me that I’m not good enough, he isn’t physically abusive or anything, he just hates me and I don’t know why. He’s great with my other siblings though.